First try at leather work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Well I ordered some tools from le prevo and my 'trying them out' turned into this sheath.

sheath.jpg

Very basic but not bad for a first atempt and it did teach me a few things from the problems I had. The stitching goes a bit wonky but I think that is mainly because it came unglued (and i wasn't patient enough to reglue it). What kind of glue should I use?

Unfortunately my awl broke towards the end (this was my fault, my technique was wrong according to Stu at le prevo, very helpful). Now I think I'll have to wait a bit and order a few things as it would be a waste to pay the P&P just for the awl blade.

Next projects will be a mask for my Fiskars axe, a mask for my Wetterlings hatchet and a sheath for my Laplander

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
nice job, Ju.
Let me know if you're getting anything else from le prevo as I want some stuff myself - give us a call if i'm not too late

S

Selous

Excellent. My first go at leather-working, the awl blade snapped too. I blamed the blade. Because I was a bad workman. I suspect you will need a new handle, too? I did. Did you have trouble putting the blade in the handle? I did. There are many ways, I suspect. Try holging the blade very tightly with a pair of pliers, and knocking it in with a hammer. DON'T hit the pliers above the blade, but away from the end, so if you slip you won't hit the point. And it's the blued end that goes into the handle...

I know you didn't ask. Sorry, I've got all patronising and superior. I made my first sheath about a month ago, and now I'm an expert.

Be careful with leather work. It's addictive. "I do leather work a bit. I can handle it.."

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Selous said:
Excellent. My first go at leather-working, the awl blade snapped too. I blamed the blade. Because I was a bad workman. I suspect you will need a new handle, too? I did. Did you have trouble putting the blade in the handle? I did. There are many ways, I suspect. Try holging the blade very tightly with a pair of pliers, and knocking it in with a hammer. DON'T hit the pliers above the blade, but away from the end, so if you slip you won't hit the point. And it's the blued end that goes into the handle...

I know you didn't ask. Sorry, I've got all patronising and superior. I made my first sheath about a month ago, and now I'm an expert.

Be careful with leather work. It's addictive. "I do leather work a bit. I can handle it.."

Thanks for the advice

My Father in law is one of those guys that knows about pretty much everything so i asked him what to do and he told me to heat up the blue end and just push it into the handle. Seemed to work ok, hopefully I didn't heat it up too much and weaken it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE