First time in the woods (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Mesquite 2

Well I had my first couple of nights out in a wood and thoroughly enjoyed myself :D

Got there friday evening with my son and quickly set up camp and got dinner on the go. As we were sat there quietly chatting away while it cooked we had a badger visit us. It must have liked the smell of what was on the fire but when he realised we were there as well he soon scarpered, talk about a wobbly bum as he ran :). I tried making some bannock but that didn't work as I added a bit too much water so ended up with a sloppy mix that didn't stick in the pan :( I tried cooking it anyway and it rose like a cake and on tasting was very nice indeed (note to myself, LESS water next time)

This was our camp (sorry about the quality, I didn't realise it was out of focus til I got home :( ) The tarp was an old flysheet I picked up for £2.50 from a bootfair. A little bit of judicious trimming and I have a basic tarp which will do me til I get a proper one.
campsite.jpg

Anyway, the next morning we were up early and had some bacon and eggs wraps then we spent a while exploring the wood properly. Then it was back to the camp to teach my son some basic knife skills by showing him how to make an elder whistle from Jons tutorial. He was well impressed with himself when he got a whistle out of his. I then showed him how to lay the fire for lunch and then try to light it using a fireflash. Still a bit to go on lighting the fire but he's got the laying down to a tee.

After dinner the farmers son dropped by as he was shooting some rabbits and offered us one which I turned down as we'd already eaten otherwise it would have gone on the fire :) I asked about the fishing and he said no probs they own the rioghts to about 200 yards of a lovely fast flowing chalk stream that has trout in it mmmm I see dinner coming along in the future :D

Then all too soon it was the morning and time to pack up and this is how we left it with just a neat pile of logs for our next visit
campsite-after.jpg

This is a pic of the wood taken from the river
wood-long.jpg

All in all it was a great time and my son really enjoyed it. So much to the point he wants to go back in 2 weeks with his friend so another trip is planned :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Looks a really lovely place,nice pictures too.Happy to hear you and your lad had a good time!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Looks like a gorgeous spot... and free fishing too :D
Your lightweight, cheap "tarp" sounds like it's perfect... good idea.
Best wishes
Stuart

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Mesquite 2
I did the same with my kids when they were younger its a very special time. My youngest lad is in Australia at present having spent four months in New Zealand and he's using skills that I taught him 10 years ago, knowledge and ability gives kids great confidence and allows them to tackle many things that life will throw at them.
Pothunter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE