First spoon made bushcraft style

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Now I know I have a head start in wood work because of the work I do, but this is the first spoon I have made, only using a knife, and no sanding except along the edge of the bowl to prevent splinters.

DSCN0006-3.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

I enjoy more and more using as few tools as possible and sanding them as little as possible.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Thats great i like the look of that :D very authentic like it could be made in the field,What did you use to varnish it? veg oil?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Oops, forgot to mention the wood.. No secret, it's mahogany. i was given a great big lump of it and used a off cut. I didn't have any green wood and everything else I had was hard as nail. Reasonably easy to work dry with a knife.

Congrats on the spoon, it's looking very good for a first attempt.

I showed my first attempt to my father, who commented that it was good but looked like something that a family friend had made, this being the family friend who's blind!

My second attempt is one I haven't shown to my father, but is from oak. I tend to leave the handle close to the natural shape of the wood that I carved it from, possibly because I have no imagination!

Keep up the good work!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE