First night in my new hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi folks.

Thought I'd share a few pics I took on Wednesday when I finally got up to the Cairngorms to try out my recent bargain buys, courtesy of the group buy's!! (thanks to all who arranged them!)

Location: Up near Derry Lodge, Braemar side of the Cairngorms. Left Aberdeen in the mid morning on a scorching day, and after spending too much money (again!) in Braemar Mountain Sports and the Hungry Highlander, drove off to the Linn of Dee carpark, loaded up the bike and after a fierce 25 min cycle (not been on the bike for 8 months), got to one of my fav spots- Bob Scott's Bothy.

P1020200.jpg

The track form the carpark

P1020199.jpg

Derry Cairngorm in the distance

P1020206.jpg

One of the locals was hanging about the bothy and surprisingly didn't scarper when I arrived- figured it was hoping I would leave so it could finish the whisky someone had left in the bothy!

P1020215.jpg

After much knot tying (and slipping and re-tying) got the hammock and tarp set up. The bothy (as a backup incase!) behind

P1020218.jpg

Now to play with the stove and get a brew on...

P1020219.jpg

P1020221.jpg

P1020224.jpg

P1020226.jpg

Although there were no midges really, decided to set up the net too- for practice

P1020232.jpg

Sunset looking back towards the carpark

P1020212.jpg

The views from my bed!! Carn a' Mhain on the left
P1020214.jpg

It was a very clear, cold night and I can see the point of the under-blanket and quilt set-up for sure. Although I hardly slept (a wee bit chilly and kept sliding down into the middle and almost off my wee airik mat), I had an amazing night sky to watch and was a valuable exercise in setting up the kit, knot tying and fine tuning everything.

Learning pints:
1) Need a bigger tarp- no rain forecast so the smaller one was set up to try and shield the hammock from the wind but no real rain protection.
2) Think about winter bag if going again soon... otherwise under-blanket at least..
3) Try different climbing tape as the stuff I bought was useless- would not hold intended knots at all- tried figure of 8 slippery hitch and taught-line hitch- ended up just looping the trees, tying the ends together and attaching the carab's straight onto the tape- not as elegant or quick to undo, but it worked well- just as well the trees were exactly the right space apart too.
4) Learn the prussik knots to tension the tarp better.

All in all a great night and I am keen to get back out there and spend a few nights with some good company, good food and good whisky- all welcome!!

Best wishes to all

Stuart

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Cheers for that- will try that this evening.. didnt realise you had to join Facebook to see them.. will edit post later!
I had hoped that it would upload the pics, but obviously not!!! :togo:
Stuart

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Know the spot, looks good. Maybe next time head for a wilder spot ?

Plenty of mice in Bob Scotts.

I opted for a dd hammock to slide in a thermarest. Makes more diff. than a better bag.

Nick

Too right! Even in the summer I use a SIM (self inflating mat) with the hammock. The thin still airspace that the SIM creates is fantastic and on 95% of nights in Britain just puts the cherry on that comfort cake :D

The underblanket is another level on the chillier nights ;)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Cheers for all your comments folks.

I took the wee airic SIM- short and very thin so next time will take either the thermarest , or maybe even the fat airic- that will be worth a laugh fitting in the hammock in the first place!

I use the bothy area a lot as I like meeting new (and old) friends there and it's usually good craic (sp??), That said, I am planning to head back out there next Wednesday and will be going to a more "isolated" spot across the river (albeit closer to the car park). Hope the weather stays good as I won't have my new tarp by then!

Will let you know how it goes..

Stuart

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Fab pics Stuart, and glad you had a good night. They brought back very fond memories of the week we spent in Braemar last Summer, staying at a pal's house at the edge of the village.

All the kids wanted to do all week was to try to dam the Dee, which was about 50 yards from the house, and to enjoy making fires on the little bit of foreshore.

Did a fab ranger & ghillie led evening with my daughter on the Mar Estate, and now we know that grouse droppings look like Wotsits!

We kept the kids going up to the top of Morrone by telling them the radio mast was a Crunchie factory!

Sorry to wander off on one - it's just that we loved it, and your pics brought it all back!

Cheers

DHD

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Stooboy.

I got the MagiKelly group buy hammock (made by Nomad) so had to buy own tapes. The hammock came only with simple metal hooks, which I replaced with carabiners. I basically tried to copy British Red's set-up (he did a really good post).

Dark Horse Dave
sounds like you had a good holiday- I kick myself regularly as I cant believe how lucky I am to live so close to Braemar and Deeside in general.

Stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE