My "No Knife" Firesteel Set

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I decided some time ago that using a knife for scraping up tinder and striking sparks from a firesteel was, in fact, "a bit dodgy".

Well, I thought to myself; it's time to do it a bit differently :bluThinki

There are a number of reasons for coming up with this set up, not least the safety aspects, having seen quite a few people nick themselves, either scraping up tinder or striking sparks using the back of a knife,some of them quite badly and one in particular who severed a tendon!

I wanted something that could stay on my belt or round my neck, when out and about in "the wilds" or on the water,at least within reason. Rather than have to keep hiding it away, as is the case with knife sheaths with firesteel sleeves.

I wanted something that was almost impossible to injure yourself with in use, whether you were highly skilled and experienced or a newcomer, starting out and I wanted a tool that could be used for a wide range of applications.

I also couldn't really see the point of ruining the edge of a knife, by using it to scrape tinder and that's exactly what that technique will do, sooner or later.

So after a few false starts, I came up with this:
P2120003_zps852da5a0.jpg

Rather than have to use a knife, I decided that a decent sized, square edged, round ended scraper, would serve nicely.
P2120001_zps868f8878.jpg

Not only for striking the sparks but also for producing the tinder as well.

The first ones I made, had no handles, but I wanted to fit cord or thong loops and anyway, the bare steel wasn't good on the hands. So I got hold of some good quality ash and fitted handles, then drilled them for the loops.

The scraper can be used very efficiently but above all, safely, for scraping up tinder from birch bark, fatwood, hessian or other natural materials, as well as for striking copious amounts of sparks from a firesteel and a whole host of other tasks, like conifer resin collection/application, epoxy mixing and spreading ( canoe repairs for example) spreading jam , butter, marmalade etc :rolleyes:

Indeed it can also be used to smooth hand carved items before or even instead of, sanding them.

This not very well done bit of video might hopefully illustrate at least some of the advantages:
[video=youtube;bc2wQ9ryts0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2wQ9ryts0[/video]

The scrapers, supplied with even the better quality firesteels, are either not big enough to handle easily or else are horrible sharp edged stampings, with serrated sections which in my experience, don't really help the spark production at all. As for those that are supplied with bits of hacksaw blade, well the firesteels themselves, are usually fine, they are all too often let down by the lack of a decent scraper.

Anyway, I decided to see what you lot thought of the idea:eek:

Steve

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks really good and well thought out. I'm still in the use your knife camp but thats a quality idea :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice bit of kit that Steve, nicely done mate

(How many takes did you do to get the spark to catch first time? :))

rancid badger

Thank you very much for the comments:)

As to the number of "takes" Rich, 1st time, thankfully, as it was freezing out there! I thought it hadn't taken, for a split second and I was going in for another strike but away it went.;)

I really do tend to just set out my "stall" and switch the camera on, then see what happens:rolleyes:

I'm not too fussy, as long as I've recorded what I've been doing and it seems clear enough when played back.

The "slashy stabby" bit was a complete afterthought:eek:

thanks again

Steve

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a great idea, and I for one am going to copy it or do something very like it - you hit the nail on the head about being weary of having to hide away knifey-sharpy stuff.................atb mac

rancid badger

Think it's a fantastic idea. You putting them into production.

Sorry Johnny I missed this reply yesterday!

To be honest I've made a few now and sold them elsewhere and indeed, even given a couple away!

I'm torn, because having stopped selling on here, mainly due to slowly stiffening fingers but also due to diminishing interest in my stuff, I've come up with something a little different, so..... what to do ?

I think I might just see how much interest it generates, before committing to upping my subs to "maker" again. It's not the cost of the subs, its the faffing about with packaging, posting,the time it takes and material costs.:bluThinki

Steve

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not a bad idea. :)

Can't see how folks would cut themselves using a knife though unless they weren't paying attention or using proper technique, A blunt angle on the spine could cause it perhaps?

rancid badger

Thanks everyone so far:)

Obviously,for a lot of folk on here, using a knife for the job is part of what has become an "established skill set" and that's great, more power to their elbows! just be careful:)

There are plenty of others however, who love the idea of using a firesteel and making their own tinder etc but wouldn't dream of using a knife for tinder production for example, and so always use cotton wool or maya dust or whatever and use the striker provided with the firesteel. This idea allows those folk to develop their skills and techniques that little bit more, with reduced risk of hurting themselves, into the bargain.

It's also pretty much safe for younger kids too, I've seen children ( and adults!;)) cutting themselves on the stamped tin scrapers and bits of hacksaw blades, that come with a lot of firesteels.:(

Thanks again
:)
Steve

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Initial thought was to use a 6" steel ruler if they were stiff enough, or put markings on the scraper :)

rancid badger

Initial thought was to use a 6" steel ruler if they were stiff enough, or put markings on the scraper :)

That's not a bad idea but; they are too flexible(rulers) and thin,I tried!:eek:

The blades I'm using are just shy of a mm thick, made of "MM" tool steel ( I've no idea either!) and are in fact high speed, high carbon machine cutting blades, salvaged from work, when we modernised the production lines.

They are flexible but hard, without being brittle and hold their edge amazingly well. Impossible for me to put markings on them though;)

cheers

Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Very nice, i have something similar made from a wallpaper scraper blade that i ground the edge off but its nowhere near as pretty as your set. I like that a lot goodjob

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That's not a bad idea but; they are too flexible(rulers) and thin,I tried!:eek:

The blades I'm using are just shy of a mm thick, made of "MM" tool steel ( I've no idea either!) and are in fact high speed, high carbon machine cutting blades, salvaged from work, when we modernised the production lines.

They are flexible but hard, without being brittle and hold their edge amazingly well. Impossible for me to put markings on them though;)

cheers

Steve

Ah, yeah. And I bet they'll get used as crowbar/paint can opener/... etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE