Fire with a Bowdrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Uhm....this isnt exactly my thing, I pretty much keep to the Kit Chatter and Edged Tool forums, but I need some help.

I want to learn how to make fire with a bowdrill, but I have no idea how. I've seen it on the telly a few times watching "Surivorman" which I guess is a Canadian version of what Ray Mears does. But where to start? What techniques do I need to master? How difficult is it?

Adam

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Adam,

There is a variety of approaches to learning bowdrill. Depends on your preference and what is available:-

Go on a course
Feel your way through it yourself with minimum help from others
Get someone local to show you
Follow a guide on a web site
Do it with lots of discussion via the forum

As to getting a kit together there are those who sell made up kits I believe. Or you could scrounge around and put your own together. Here is a DIY kit I posted recently - bow made of a light, curved piece of buddliea about 18 inches long and ordinary parcel string, heath board made from scrap wood, drill - whatever wood comes to hand - about 1cm diameter, and top axle an ice cream scoop! Together it all works well except that the drills in this case are oak and not to be recommended.

bowdrill.jpg

As to difficulty - if someone else provides the kit and is there to help you get going then it is not especially physically demanding and most teenagers and adults can probably do it if they have a bit of persistence over about an hour or so of coached trying. If you are entirely DIY it can be months or more, but boy is it satisfying when you get there.

leon-1

I would say first learn about the woods that are available to you in you area. There are many threads on here that cover how important the selection of woods for your set can be.

Pallette wood I would think is going to be the same no matter where you are and the guys had reasonably good results at the BCUK meet with this as a hearth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE