FC E-mail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
So as you may have read in one of the threads about camping in Scotland and the FC being sometimes not as nice as they could be i sent an e-mail to them regarding my experience with a couple of FC employees who were not too helpfull to say the least.

This is the e-mail i recieved today from one of the FC offices.

"Peter - thank you for getting in touch with us regarding wild camping.

I am concerned by your reference to the manner in which you were treated
by a member of our staff and would like to discuss that with you please.
Basically they appear miss-informed and I need to address that but will
require the background before I can judge.

I can be contacted on the phone numbers below.

Camping - The Scottish Outdoor Access code allows for wild camping and
All Wild campers have the following responsibilities:

SOAC - Section 5 - Wild Camping - "Access rights extend to wild
camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done on small numbers and
only for one or two nights in any one place. You can camp in this way
wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for
local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of
crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or
historic structures. Take care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or
grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek
the owners permission. Leave no trace by:

Taking away your litter
Removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the
guidance for lighting fires)
Not causing any pollution"

From what you say in your email it seems you are complying with the code
and therefore your activity is lawful."

This man was a very nice man, a very very nice man, a very nice man indeed.
Hope this has helped some people. I for one have printed this e-mail out and will now laminate it and keep a copy in my pack at all times.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Good idea that printing it off and laminating it.

Nice to see the FC can be polite and pleasent - sometimes.
Saying that, i wonder if the same allowance applies here in England.... email time methinks

Nice one Clark

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Nice one Clark. This is what I would have expected from FSC and is what you would have been told in my part of Scotland. Very handy though to have a copy of your e-mail with us when we go further afield:You_Rock_

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
That's a good outcome :) Excellent idea with the laminating - can you print something
useful on the other side of the email? Probably a map wouldn't be much good if you
plan to move around though :rolleyes:

Chester`C

Sep 6, 2007
Hull
I think the key factor in this is

"Leave no trace by:

Taking away your litter

Us Bushys must stick together and abide by these rules at all times unfortunatley its the minority of idiots that jepordise our pleaure by leaving traces. That guy does indeed seem like a very nice man and makes me wonder if he's a bushy himself.

It'll be nice to see the outcome of your e-mail nat although I feel negativity coming from the english boys in the FC

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I'm not holding my breath either Clark. Last time i went to Dalby Forest they had signs plastered all over saying "No over night camping" But they were charging £7 per car entrance, and there's people living in it in proper houses!

But you never know.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I think the key factor in this is

"Leave no trace by:

Taking away your litter

Us Bushys must stick together and abide by these rules at all times unfortunatley its the minority of idiots that jepordise our pleaure by leaving traces. That guy does indeed seem like a very nice man and makes me wonder if he's a bushy himself.

It'll be nice to see the outcome of your e-mail nat although I feel negativity coming from the english boys in the FC

Exactly Chester, in fact I go one better and litter pick the area I occupy thereby making a positive point. If everyone were to do this then the term bushcraft will undoubtedly become synonymous with leave no trace cleanliness and respect and will stand us in good stead with woodland and forestry organisations and landowners if they think 'I know wherever they camp will save me a job'.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Agreed

I always pick up any litter i see when i'm out and about. usually end up putting a full bag in the bin at the car park Only takes a few minutes and like has been said, it keeps us in good stead.

leon-1

Agreed

I always pick up any litter i see when i'm out and about. usually end up putting a full bag in the bin at the car park Only takes a few minutes and like has been said, it keeps us in good stead.

There are quite a few of us who do pick up litter when out and about. The guys that have been down for Dartmoor meets before have normally area cleaned whilst out on walks over the moor.

It's a shame that all of the people that use the moor don't have the same courtesy for all concerned (other users of the moor and the indigenous inhabitants of the moor, animal and human).

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Great feedback :D It also shows that they're accommodating and willing to listen as well as even actively encourage people to use the land as long as it's done considerately which is great.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
On the subject of wild camping, are there any sites that show a list of wild camping sites or where's not frowned upon?

I know there are one or two places in the Lake District and Snowdonia, but i don't know of anywhere else.

Still not heard back from the FC yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE