Favorite knife handle materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Just want to know what your favorite handle materials are? For looks, I really like burl desert iron wood, burl walnut and African blackwood because it takes a fine finish, I'm also very partial to well textured and colored stag. For durability, linen Micarta is very hard to beat and it look quite nice too.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I got some delrin from the medical physics workshop here in the hospital. It's cut into slabs waiting for me to finish sharpening a blade.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
For looks,any finely figured wood.

For use,G10, in a bright,"no lose in grass" colour. :)

Having said the above,Fibremascus seems to cover both criteria but I haven't seen it in the flesh or handled it.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
JohnC,

You might find Delrin (acetal homopolymer to be posh) a bit on the soft side for hard use knife handles. Its also quite tricky to glue to, you'll need a well keyed epoxy joint to stand a chance.

Dave

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
MartiniDave said:
JohnC,

You might find Delrin (acetal homopolymer to be posh) a bit on the soft side for hard use knife handles. Its also quite tricky to glue to, you'll need a well keyed epoxy joint to stand a chance.

Dave

I looked it up coz I'd never heard of it. Apparently it doesn't like acidic or basic conditions either. Isn't that a worry for a knife handle because your skin is slightly acidic, and I expect most things you cut aren't pH neutral either?
If not, well, good on you for some good ol' fashioned pilfering...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
re Delrin, I'm planning to key the tang side of it and to use pins, but that is a worry.
So far its been a very tough material to work, and I've seen some moulded handle knife scales on websites.
To be honest I'd have rather found some antler, but the chance of making use of something free rather than shelling out cash was too tempting :D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Bocote and cocobolo are hard to beat. They are naturally oily and hold up with minimal maintenance and finishing even when washed with detergent on a daily basis. They are also relatively cheap and easy to get since they are used in this country for wood turning.

If you REALLY want to see some cool wood, check out http://www.gilmerwood.com/new_unique.htm
:D :D :D :D

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have mostly stag handles on my knives, less slippery when my hands are full of b...d and g.ts. On 2 I have linen micarta in an oval shape configuration for the same reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE