Fallkniven H1 Good Bushcrafting Blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 31, 2005
Germany
Does anyone out there own a Fallkniven H1? What do you think of it? I'm thinking of a new knife and this one keeps popping up. Only used to a scandi grind and am wondering if i will get on with a convex???? What are they like to sharpen and are they good for carving? :confused:

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Sorry, dont have an H1, but I do have an A1 and a couple of their folders, so hopefully I'm qualified to reply :)

Sharpening wont be a problem, prolly easier than a scandi. Stropping on loaded leather will keep it sharp for a long time, and when it finally needs sharpened all you will need is some wet and dry sandpaper and a mousemat. If you do a search on the term "Hoodoo Hone" here or at British Blades you will get all the info you need on sharpening convex blades.

A convex edge will carve well, but remember, the H1 is not a delicate knife. The blade is 5mm thick and I would imagine it has quite a stout edge profile.

mojo

I use mine regularly and find it great. The thing is that I did reprofile it to be a true Scandinavian and got rid of the steep convex at the edge - that it came with. With the new grind it does far better than one would expect of a 5mm thick knife.

F

fastbreak

missy mycelium said:
Does anyone out there own a Fallkniven H1? What do you think of it? I'm thinking of a new knife and this one keeps popping up. Only used to a scandi grind and am wondering if i will get on with a convex???? What are they like to sharpen and are they good for carving? :confused:

The H1 is very different to the A1 or F1 blades. The convex grind of the H1 is optimised to survive hitting bone when skinning or butchering a carcase. In other words it is a very very thick angle at the edge. In my experience, cutting or carving wood with the H1 is not a rewarding pass-time.

The H1 is a hunting knife, and is I think a very good and robust knife. It is not a general use field knife. Personally I don't like convex edges at all, but can get on with something like the North Star, where the convexing doesn't round off the edge too much, but the H1 is frankly a blunt instrument.

Have fun,

Mike

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
i have a S1 which is also convex blade i love useing it all the time but i must admit i dont carve i use it as a general use knife which it seems to work just fine
butchured with it no problem and my strike a light works great off it too
great for cutting wood for the fire and making shelters
hope this is of some help

leon-1

I have the H1, it is a very good robust knife, the Kraton handle is quite comfortable and as with all of the Fallkniven range the leather sheath is of very good quality.

As with the F1 the spine is heavily squared off and casts a very good shower of sparks from a firesteel. The back edge of the blade is almost flat right up untill you are about 10mm's from the tip where it just very gently drops and this is only very slightly to being almost imperceptible in most pictures that I have seen.

The blade is thick (once again as with the F1) and the convex grind is quite easy to maintain, VG10 seems quite a strange metal to me and doesn't always feel quite as sharp as it really is (you only find out when cutting things truly how sharp it is).

For bushcraft I do actually prefer the F1, but they are both very good knives. Carving could be a little more difficult, but if you are new to it you will develop your own style that will counter that. As with anything the more familiar you are with it as a tool the more proficient you will become in its use.

I hope this is of some use to you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE