Fallkniven F1 and Gene Ingram #12

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I got one of those lovely Global Priority parcels today :D :D :D
My new Fallkniven F1 and Gene Ingram #12 have arrived and these are my first impressions .......

The F1.
430_3040_1.jpg

I have wanted one of these for a long time and was about to order one around the time that the BRKT North Star came out.
I followed the flock and got a NS.
Apart from the design and sheath issues my NS had slipped through QC with a few flaws ,when Mike Stewart offered me a refund i jumped at it.
I still wanted to try a convex grind "bushcraft" knife so my thoughts once again turned to the F1 and i ordered one from a US ebay seller.

First impressions are that this is a very well thought out but slightly characterless knife.
It lacks the style and character of the "semi custom" NS but IMO it's a much superior design and the build quality is perfect.
The Thermorun E ?? handle is very comfortable to hold in all positions and i imagine will be good when wet.
The sheath is perfectelly functional but again lacks character ,im not sure about the "dangler" belt loop as i like to conceal my knife as much as is practical and i like to be able to remove it single handed but it's well made ,neatly finished and holds the knife securely.
I will probably make a replacement that allows single handed removal and conceals the knife better.
Im looking forward to putting this through it's paces and i can see this being a keeper.
Im definitely on the look out for some F1 blade blanks now as a nice set of scales would make the F1 look so much prettier but for a user i think this is going to be more practical.

The Gene Ingram.

430_3048_1.jpg

Well i always fancied one but with so many mid sized knives already i couldn't really justify one.
I was ordering the F1 and i spotted this from the same ebay seller ,Gene's knives had always appealed to me because of the simplistic lines and this one was even more minimal with the black micarta pins and lanyard hole hardly being visible against the Desert Ironwood scales.

430_3054_1.jpg

It's a little smaller than most of my users (it's a #12 - more PackPal size) so i thought it would make a nice hunting companion with the flat grind being more suitable than my Scandi PackPal (actually my PackPal is surprisingly good for food prep despite the grind but i have to try and justify this some how) .
The fit ,finish and blade grind are absolutely perfect.
This is a beautiful little knife and Gene's work is so much more impressive in the hand than i ever imagined.
It's also the sharpest knife i have ever handled.
The sheath is a little disappointing ,it's poorly finished (the edges are rough and uneven and the dye job is poor) ,the machine stitching is horrible and it's covered in some sort of wax that won't polish away.

430_3043_1.jpg

It really doesn't work with such a well built knife.
I don't know that it's worth spending the time reworking it so i will probably just make a replacement.

Two very different knives but im delighted with both and im looking forward to giving them a proper test very soon.

rb

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Do you know how old the Gene Ingram knife is? If it's not too old you could ask him what's been done to it? Mine arrived perfect apart from literally one or two scuffs on the sheath but I couldn't care less as I was going (in time) to put plenty more on it anyway.

It does look a lot darker than mine though.

Joe

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I don't know how old ,it was sold as new by a dealer so i don't think it's very old and it's not been used.
I don't mind sorting it out or making a replacement ,it's functunal but it's not in the same league as the knife.
Even without the wax and the poor dye job it's still poor ,the edges are rough and the stitching is crude.
The knife on the other hand is beautiful and the fit and finish is 101%.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I could see that happening quite easily.
I can't stop using this ,it's scary sharp.
I assume all GI owners have the standard issue bald arm and leg :D

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I stropped the F1 on some 1200 wet and dry paper then on some leather so it's a razor now.
It also throws sparks from a firesteel like nothing else.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
why did you have to go get an ingram rb now you got me wanting one (are well thats my excuse anyway ) have had my eye on them for a while and squidders telling me all about his did'nt help xmas pressie to me ingram #6 :)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
with a new bfk on order and two aw customs the wallet is very empty i bet that knife dont look as clean now as when that pic was taken and no it dont help because i want one even more now (for sale one young child or is white slavery eligal) :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Grumit, actually it's very clean... It's Carbon steel so I try and look after it, at some point, I want to be handing it down to any offspring I may have.

I also have a BFK on order... can't wait for it!

Dhole

Jun 12, 2005
rapidboy said:
I stropped the F1 on some 1200 wet and dry paper then on some leather so it's a razor now.
It also throws sparks from a firesteel like nothing else.

Rapidboy

I have some 1200 wet dry paper lying around would it be ok to sharpen my Wave with ? if so do you have any tips ? what method do you use ? if it is a case of me searching the threads abit more just advise so.

cheers
dave

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I knocked together a replacement sheath today.
I tried to keep the profile close to the original but i reduced the overall length by about 1 1/2"
The original hangs quite low on your belt and the only way to remove the knife is with the lanyard.
This one rides higher and i can do without the lanyard (while it looks nice it get's in the way a lot).

430_3055_1.jpg

430_3061_1.jpg

Im not sure i like the colour (saddle tan) :( but it's a much more discrete carry position .

rb

leon-1

A couple of very nice knives and a nice new sheath there rb, you are right about GI owners having issued bald arm permits.

I have a #30 and a #6 and both are very good knives, the #30 is D2 and the #6 is in S30V and both are like razors. :)

Wooden handles on an F1 now who would of thought of that :D

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
RB,
I have a bald arm & leg too, I've been an F1 user for many years, they are the most underestimated "off-the-peg" knife around. I liked the original so much, I put a oak handle on an F1 blank and put it in a homemade sheath, I've never looked back, in an extreme situation the F1 is the knife to be packin.
For everyday use the little Ingram is my favourite blade (S30V & micarta slabs). I squared the spine and modified the grind. It now carves well, is brilliant for food prep and casts a spark on a par with the F1. Its small, neat, light and very versatile( I boned 100+ kg of turkey with it @ xmas ) and can be carried anywhere.
Congrats, you just made two very good purchases.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE