ex parachute hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i came across another bargain! :eek:):

a Hammock made from Parachute material.

unfortunately it is anonymous so i can only describe it.

it appears to be:

genuine military OG nylon parachute material taken from one of the triangular sections of a parachute(it even has a printed number to idicate the section it once was).

the fabric has been cut and folded to make tubes head and foot end to take a pretty strong looking metal issue utility strap.

because it is taken from a section of parachute the head end is wider and tapers to the foot end that is thiner both ends are ample for me in length and width I'm 6ft and 15 stone(overweight!)

there apears to be 2 small pockets in just the right place to hold a spreader bar at the head end.

thats it, no info, no labels numbers nothing, the stitching seems good but i will double up on the load bearing parts.

mine was £9.99, i saw an identical one packaged for £22 in another surplus store. (it had a rather fake looking sheet showing a fatman in the hammock, and promoting genuine military materials, but again no names or info.

the only info it suplied about the manufacture was "made in uk".

is it more likely that a backroom soldier, has started a small hammock production business? or is it a common practise? i know you can get kit adjusted or fix by the camp tailor.

the lack of info leads me to think that the parachutes might be "borrowed" :naughty: :?: ?

have you come across these?
they seem pretty good, i am very happy with mine much better than my previous one! :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
OH... :shock:

that bad,eh? :cry:

does anyone have any links or opinions, good or bad?

have i got a red herring or a bobby dazzler? :?:

i've looked on the internet but don't even have a name or discription to go by, has anyone heard of these?

leon-1

R2K, Neil1 is going o be down here later on today i'll bring his attention to this one as he made a Thai Hammock in ripstop parasilk, he'll have a fair amount of knowledge about it.

Personally I think that £9.99 isn't a bad price, but I would be a little concerned about the strength of it.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:shock:
my thoughts exactly, as i mentioned i will be doubling up on the load bearing parts.

to my mind it looks like a home made job but for the fact i've come across another in packaging.

the parachute material i know for a fact to be strong enough, also it uses two layers.

the two straps with it look simular to a standard PLCE type utility strap only much longer with a much bigger metal buckle(i have been considering changing these for paracord anyway dueb to weight and known strength.

the post surplus stitching is the only area of doubt.

when hung (not tried as yet) it apears to go a banana shape not unlike the hammocks most bushcrafters have, as i say it does seem to have a system to add a spreader bar the head end.

my old hamock (army issue) was also designed as an emergency stretcher and made of heavy coated waterproof nylon known as the "SAS" hamock?

on a hot night you don't want to be lying on waterproof nylon, yuk sweaty!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
ok i've taken some pictues now, just figuring how to get them on this thread!

i've had a propper try out of the hammock the stitching is completely sound, i weigh around 15 stone!

it felt to me as though is was not wide enough what i mean by that is that, it seemed not to go around me enough, i would feel as little aprehensive about sleeping in it due to this, in other hammocks i have tried you can move about and rest on your side ect but this one just tips, it would be greatly enhanced by another 6 inches or so of material on the sides.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE