Enzo trapper! Any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Try emailing Dennis at Brisa with your requirements and see if he can help you out. He will probably be the best guy to speak to if you want to go custom, as he designed (with the assistance of those over on BB) and makes the blades. Failing that, you could have a look at the English Handmade Knives website, as they often have a few in stock.

I'm sure a few on here would do one for you if you supplied the gear, paid for postage and slipped them a few notes.

Ah I thought the knife was a design made and sold like any other (helle, mora etc), I may have to email the chap then!

thanks!

is camel bone a good handle choice? or would micarta be more suited for most uses?

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I love the Trappers!

They are work horses and a bargin at the price. I'd be happy if I got it's performance out of a £200 plus knife.

I've been using this one for just over 2 years now, it's O1 and never chipped and holds a great edge.

I've posted those photos before on here, just after I made that sheath from 3mm leather, much better than the 2mm one I had made for it.

I've stated before that I got the blade off www.knifebargins.co.uk for about £40, the wood and liners off ebay, I already had the brass which I'd got off ebay as well. I must of spent less than £15 for all the bits off ebay, the brass was enought to handle 4 knifes too. I also pinned it (4mm brass) instead of using corby rivets as handles I fit I like pins for some reason.

I first got one of the kit ones and its great and easy to put togeather. But it was too thin for my hand, so I got the parts and made one to fit my hand.

Infact, while typing this I had a look and found these:

As you can see, this was after about a years use. I think sharp is the word.

And here is my kit one with my main user in my kitchen:

I found another one:

I think that should do for images.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
My hands arn't massive, but I have large palms with short thick fingers. I find any handle thats about 1-1.5cm after a bit of carving or hard usage it makes my palm ache, even thought I have slight calluses on both mt palms as I never wear gloves (other than at work). The standard kit is about 1.5cm, 5mm more and I'd of just kept to using that one. My user is 3cm wide and never makes my hand ache at all, it also wont fit in the Enzo standard trapper leather sheath.

Actually I got a version 1 of the Dan Koster Bushcraft Knife and I really had to rehandle that. They are superb bushcraft knifes, very standard belly shape to the blade, but they arnt a deep blade, say 2/3 the depth of the trapper. But the V1 was only 8mm thick and I just couldn't use it, plus it was VERY loose in its sheath. Again its about 3cm or so thick now and is perfect, plus now fits it's sheath like it was ment to.

If you didn't buy the partly shaped wood slabs and got the blanks you shouldn't have a problem thought, just keep checking your girp in a couple of different knife holds and you can really tailer it you your hand.

The only time I wear gloves is at work as I work in cold and they stop my skin drying up and cracking. I take a large, but I'm very close to needing an extra large. A firend who had about the same size hands but are no where near as thick all round as mine actually likes the standard kit more, so I guess I like a thicker handle.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I've got two. This one is O1 with yew scales
IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

The other is D2 with camelbone scales

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0477-1.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

I rate them both very highly

HTH

Rat

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
oh D2 has a lovely shine! I hear they are 'too brittle' to batton with though, is this true?

That D2 and camel bone looks great btw!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
oh D2 has a lovely shine! I hear they are 'too brittle' to batton with though, is this true?

I *think* there was an issue with D2 in the Zero Scandi and that D2 with a secondary was fine (could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time :eek: ).

Mine's in D2, but Flat. No issues with chips, rolls etc :D .

EDIT: Actually, the only issue I've had is that I had to barrel the handle profile due the tang being a tad too short for my hands.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I *think* there was an issue with D2 in the Zero Scandi and that D2 with a secondary was fine (could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time :eek: ).

Mine's in D2, but Flat. No issues with chips, rolls etc :D .

EDIT: Actually, the only issue I've had is that I had to barrel the handle profile due the tang being a tad too short for my hands.

Yeah I think i heard that too! chips were accuring when people were a little hard on their d2 scandis. I just also heard people saying it's way too brittle for battoning. A maker on here even said he had an unhappy customer who ordered a d2 bushy to be hardened up to 60-62 and came back a week later with a snapped knife!

are the scandi trappers zero ground then? like properly? I don't think I've seen any proper scandi grinds other than my custom.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... are the scandi trappers zero ground then? like properly?

There is (or, at least, was) a choice of having the Trapper blade supplied in either Zero Ground or with secondary bevel. I'd guess that the same would go with completed knives ~ :dunno: I haven't checked. Where there might be a choice (or variation) the item description should state which grind a knife will have but, if in doubt, drop the seller a line and ask ;) . As far as a zero grind on D2? My personal opinion is that expecting a 'any hardness' steel with an acute angle to act as a general purpose camp knife is asking for trouble :) .

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Yeah I think i heard that too! chips were accuring when people were a little hard on their d2 scandis. I just also heard people saying it's way too brittle for battoning. A maker on here even said he had an unhappy customer who ordered a d2 bushy to be hardened up to 60-62 and came back a week later with a snapped knife!

Mine's been batonned and it's fine.

are the scandi trappers zero ground then? like properly? I don't think I've seen any proper scandi grinds other than my custom.

My O1 trapper is a proper zero scandi grind. The D2 has a small secondary bevel, which I understand is to guard against chipping. I've never had any problems with either blade chipping.

HTH

Rat

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've had an Enzo Trapper for nearly two days now and I really like it! It's so slick and tidy, it's a treat to use as well! really nice to have 'scandi' knife come with a proper grind for once, it just destroys wood like an angry beaver! I've also found it fits my hand very well and is infact really nimble in the hand, making it great for all the carving I've been doing.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I got it in 01 scandi with curl birch and it's such a fantastic knife for the price! I was told the sheath wasn't very good but I'd say it's alright, very tight but nothing using it won't sort out. I got it as part of a trade, it hadn't been used so it's technically new.

I'm very impressed so far, very good quality!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Glad to read you got one.

Another thing I like is they are a scandi with a propper full tang so not only will it eat wood, you can be pretty hard them too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE