Elder pith tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
In Ellsworth Jaegers Excellent book Wildwood Wisdom on page 140 he mentions the Senecas Indians used 'Dried pith of the Elderberry' for tinder. I presume Mr Jaeger means the pith running through Elder wands. Has anyone heard of this or given it a go? Does it need charring first or any other kind of preparation or just drying. Also puffballs are also mentioned as a good tinder after drying and cutting into slices. Also mentioned are 'Rotten Maple and dried Beech rot' Pioneers and Indians apparently used the dried 'Star mushroom' as tinder too. Any funghi buffs know if this grows in the UK and given it a go.
I'm going to give the Elder pith a go so I'll report back with the result.

I got this book from good old Amazon about 2 years ago by the way and highly recommend it

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Yes it is a good book isn't it. I had a look around on google on the subject, and funnily enough saw it mentioned on this site !! :eek: :rolleyes:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=2282&page=2&pp=10&highlight=elder+pith

Anyway, a bit more googling, and nearly every site on bio whatsit mentions the use, but not how. Presumably dry it and use sparks ? Anyone ?

Also found this in the gutenberg site : The art of travel.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/1/4/6/8/14681/14681-h/14681-h.htm#index

Mentions pith as tinder, and also the old "lamp wick in small tube to protect the char" trick...

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Elder pith from the centre of dead stems is very useful, as it catches light fairly easily, and is almost always guaranteed to be dry if the wood it is in is dry, even in rainy weather.

I have used it as an extender from a bow drill coal, but its also useful in situ - using elder stems as spindles means that the pith is in direct contact with the heat - if you've got enough heat generated you can get the tinder to glow and form a coal inside the elder stem itself!

Not tried with a firesteel, but I suspect if you dried it and fluffed it up it would work.

the pith from other stems can also be used in a similar way (mullein, rush grass, etc)

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
In my quest for an easy natural tinder for flint and steel I have tried Elder Pith but without success. If anyone succeeds I would be interested.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
From what I've read in all the sites i looked at (and everyone mentions it's use as a tinder), it can only really be as a friction or a f&s tinder (based on age - they wouldn't have had a Swedish fire-steel centuries ago). Makes me think that it's one of those long lost skills. Could be worth pursuing some more i reckon...

[ Also mentioned are 'Rotten Maple and dried Beech rot' Pioneers and Indians apparently used the dried 'Star mushroom' as tinder too. Any funghi buffs know if this grows in the UK and given it a go.

I can vouch for maple punk. I discovered its great tinder qualites back when I used to smoke. I was in a tree-stand during archery season and butted my smoke out on the tree. ( I know...I know... The wind was in my favor at the time :eek: ) Later, I was alarmed and surprised to find the tree aglow and quite difficult to extinguish. Since then I have used punk very often in fire making. Three chunks the size of a walnut and placed in contact with one another can be coaxed into flame without a fiber nest.

I have been able to get it to catch a spark using conventional flint and steel with no more treatment than drying. The trick is to get a sliver thin piece and position it as close to the edge of the flint as possible. This makes for a shortest possible gap for the spark to travel, maximizing its temperature upon contact with the punk. Punk will also catch a spark quite easily with after a small amount of "toasting". Heating it to the charring point makes it crumbly and is not really necessary.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Jeff, excuse the hijack,
When you use wood-punk for the fire piston, you mention a thin slice. Do you roll this up to use in the tinder cavity, or just use a thin disk of it. I've found a mullein stem of about 18 inches long and I'm drying that out to try in the piston as well.

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Wood punk will light, but it is the least effective tinder in the fire piston. I simply pack a small piece into the cavity and expect it to take about three good hits before it catches. The thin slice comment was related to flint and steel only. Mullein pith works much better and should light on the first or second try. Good hunting! If you can find a bit longer mullein shaft you will have a top notch spindle for hand drill.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Jeff Wagner said:
Mullein pith ..... It also catches a spark from traditional flint and steel. The process is much the same as with punk in that a very thin slice is needed.

Was that "as is" i.e. no treatment, just dry ? Might have to go trim some elder :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Jeff Wagner said:
Mullein pith makes a great alternative fodder for the fire pistons. It also catches a spark from traditional flint and steel. The process is much the same as with punk in that a very thin slice is needed.

And slowly it dawn's. I've just realised i've got one of your fire pistons. nice one !!
How slow am i ?? :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE