Dyeing yellow coloured leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I need new and slightly heavier courrans. I bought a leather welder's apron this afternoon thinking to cut the shoes from that. It's split pigskin about 3mm thick with a lovely soft handle to it. However, it's bright orangey-yellow :rolleyes: and that just won't do.
I need to turn the leather a darker rust or brown colour but not with something that's going to leave my feet and ankles dyed too. I'd also much prefer that the dyeing didn't harden the leather either.
Any ideas of something suitable, particularly for the cut edges ?

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have some lovely soft but thick leather that'll be perfect. How much do you need for a pair of courrans?

It's what I made my working apron from and it's already mid to dark brown. PM me and I'll send some up.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's a generous offer :cool:
How about I send you the leather apron and my courran pattern and we do a swap ?
My soft ones are very comfortable but not so good on red whin chips :( but because the leather has to be folded over the toes it needs to be really soft stuff.
My pattern is for a size 3....might go up to a 4, and would probably make quickly made and adjustable shoes for the grandkids for period stuff.

atb,
mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE