drying yew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got to trim some finger sized branches of a yew. Though I could make some wooden beads out to the branches but what is the best way to dry them to stop them splitting?

Do I:

a) carve while green and leave to dry
b) leave to dry with bark on then carve
c) peel bark and leave to dry
e) dry in a cool oven

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
b) to be safe. Taking off the bark would encourage it to dry from the outside in. More inclined to split that way.

Carving them then drying in a placcy bag might be an option, letting the moisture out every now and then. Would give some control but still let you carve while green.

Jan 2, 2007
fife
the thing is, yew is notoriasly bad for splitting. have a look at all those popular mushrooms in the shops and you will see that some are starting to split even before being sold, one of the attractions of yew i'm afraid, it takes on an aged look relatively quickly, even the kiln dried type. you might get away with it as the branches are small but it will be hit or miss. another of the attractions of yew is the changing of colour as the wood ages and with beads this is particularly nice. in the past i've dried yew by waxing the ends or even painting the ends, anything to stop the moisture escaping too quickly. unfortunatly splits still have occurred, usually after the whole carving and finishing is done.
another way might be to microvave it. it was a method suggested to me by the wee woodman at the wood-craft shop in broadford, skye. i haven't tried it with yew but i have with other woods, if the pieces are thin enough i don't see why not. it isn't an exact science so be very careful. you are only microwaving for a second or two at a time and then leaving the wood for an hour or so then if you think it's still 'damp' then another very quick burst, but do be frugal with the waves man as they are mighty powerful dude!
hope i'm not too late with the advice.

the thing is, yew is notoriasly bad for splitting. have a look at all those popular mushrooms in the shops and you will see that some are starting to split even before being sold, one of the attractions of yew i'm afraid, it takes on an aged look relatively quickly, even the kiln dried type. you might get away with it as the branches are small but it will be hit or miss. another of the attractions of yew is the changing of colour as the wood ages and with beads this is particularly nice. in the past i've dried yew by waxing the ends or even painting the ends, anything to stop the moisture escaping too quickly. unfortunatly splits still have occurred, usually after the whole carving and finishing is done.
another way might be to microvave it. it was a method suggested to me by the wee woodman at the wood-craft shop in broadford, skye. i haven't tried it with yew but i have with other woods, if the pieces are thin enough i don't see why not. it isn't an exact science so be very careful. you are only microwaving for a second or two at a time and then leaving the wood for an hour or so then if you think it's still 'damp' then another very quick burst, but do be frugal with the waves man as they are mighty powerful dude!
hope i'm not too late with the advice.

Is yew safe to dry in a microwave where food is heated?

Phil.

I have tried to dry Yew in a microwave just to see what happened , do it inside a plastic bag , however the results are not great , dries ok but it loses something in the process it looks dead ,,, its the only way I can explain it ,
If you do try it , put the microwaved piece next to a normal piece and you will see what I mean :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE