Drill and Bow fire Lighting - A First Attempt in the Field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
wolf said:
has any had any success using dog rose as the drill

108-1e.jpg

Yes and no. With hand drilling I have had a lot of success with a garden rambler rose with stems about 1cm diameter. In the early days of my bow drilling I used to try hard with some 1.5cm diameter wild rose, and always seemed to get a rather coarse, gritty punk that would not burn. It might have been my technique.

How about you Wolf?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
P Wren said:
Well in a wood actually but anyway ..

Paul

Paul,

Just spotted your comment about doing your first attempt in a wood. Interestingly enough trying in a wood may be far harder than in a field! I can go down to the local wood, pick up some seemingly dry wood not lying on the floor and attempt to create a coal by drilling. Never seems to work. I can take the wood home to my garden or shed and it works.

A key issue here I think is that under the trees you have a high humidity. Doing it in a dryer atmosphere such as in the open, or in a dry shed is more likely to be successful.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
rich59 said:
Paul,

Just spotted your comment about doing your first attempt in a wood. Interestingly enough trying in a wood may be far harder than in a field! I can go down to the local wood, pick up some seemingly dry wood not lying on the floor and attempt to create a coal by drilling. Never seems to work. I can take the wood home to my garden or shed and it works.

A key issue here I think is that under the trees you have a high humidity. Doing it in a dryer atmosphere such as in the open, or in a dry shed is more likely to be successful.
Hi Rich59,

Interesting point because, I brought the bow and drill set home and over the next few days tried some of the techniques that fellow community members suggested - lubricating the bearing block with green leaves, changing the the shape of the drill bit that fits into the bearing block. Even without these changes I did seem to get a lot of smoke much quicker in my garden than I had in the woods. On Sunday 11th September when I made the attempt there was constant drizzling rain and it was quite warm - I am reasonably fit but was sweating buckets while bowing - and am sure you are right that the extra effort was because of the high high humidity.

I have been trying to get back out into the woods to change my selection of woods for the drill set as I know there are a few beech trees around - but due to a Fencing Competition last weekend (that's the swordy type rather than the living hawthorn variety ) and training the previous weekend haven't had the time .

I have been trying to contact a local scout camp to see if I can camp there 'off season' and practice some bushcraft skills but I haven't heard back from them - and I've been sending PMs to Lawrence Dell, who knows some land areas within driving distance of me but I haven't heard back from him.

Grrrrr, need lots of green and a complete absence of Londony stuff !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE