DPM Anorak

• Thread starter bluemountaingunworks
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bluemountaingunworks

Hello all,
I need your help locating something. I can't seem to find such anywhere. I am looking for a DPM anorak. By DPM, I mean the actual British issue camo pattern and not a U.S. woodland or other pattern. Does such a thing exist and if so, where can I find one? Thanks in advance! God Bless! Jerry

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Hello Jerry, pretty sure the British army dont have an anorak style,they are all zipped, with the exception of the Brit chemical warfare suit. The Royal Airforce use different styles specific to role, but have'nt seen an anorak in DPM. There may be a civilian version about. The anorak style is a well used classic, there will be lots of dressmaking plans for it and DPM material is readily available, so theres the option of geting one made up. Cheers, Mark

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Another thought jerry. i have got a British camo smock dated 1944. They are an over the head anorak style, but mine has been doctored sometine in its life, like a lot of them ( British SF used this pattern into the late 60's and even the 70's with territorial SAS). As it had a seam running right down the front where a zip would be, this is pretty easy to do. You could do a bit of reverse engineering if you really want an over the head anorak design and buy a used cotton gaberdine DPM windproof smock from e-bay and stitch the front up, maybe putting in a 6"-8" zip at the top. All the best, Mark

B

bluemountaingunworks

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Tedw, your Hilltrek link is exactly what I was searching for. From what I read it seems this Ventile fabric is decent. I've never heard of it here in the states; foks here are really into the synthetics. I prefer cotton, wool, and canvas. Either way, some personal experience type info on Ventile would be appreciated! God Bless! Jerry

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
bluemountaingunworks said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Tedw, your Hilltrek link is exactly what I was searching for. From what I read it seems this Ventile fabric is decent. I've never heard of it here in the states; foks here are really into the synthetics. I prefer cotton, wool, and canvas. Either way, some personal experience type info on Ventile would be appreciated! God Bless! Jerry

Plenty of info here:- Ventile or Gortex?

and here:- Ventile vs Modern Fabrics

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I'm old and have lived through cotton and goretex so may I jump in here?
If ventile is just a cotton fabric by any other name my experiences may help. If not, ignore.
In the '60's the British army issued a green (pre dpm days) combat jacket and trousers that were a double thickness cotton and maybe had polyester mixed in. They were windproof and very warm but sopped up heavy rainwater like a sponge.
In the '70's, '80's and '90's I did a lot of cycle touring a double thickness Egyptian cotton jackets with a detached hood, full zipped front and rear map pockets. A northern company had been making them since the '30's They were wonderful until it rained but under a cycling cape put on before the jacket got wet they were good. You could open the zip to ventilate and the only damp areas would be where the cape lay across the shoulders.
Lately, I've tried goretex and not found that it keeps me from getting very wet in heavy rain probably for the reasons already given in Bushcraft UK.
I've more or less settled on a fibre pile jacket for warmth (I prefer Karrimor) and a cheap 'breathable' shell over the top for wind and rain protection that I will eventually wear out (here I like Peter Storm) and replace. I make up pairs of leggings from a proofed nylon and, again, expect them to wear out.
I personally think that Goretex is a triumph of the ad man over common sense and that nothing keeps you completely dry excepting a roof.
But, different strokes for different folks and all that!

B

bluemountaingunworks

Thanks again for the advice/help! I live in the desert SW, so extreme waterproffing is not really a concern as much as durability and breathability. I have Ventile envisioned in my head as similar to the fabric used to make the SAS parkas. I have both a DPM and Desert DPM SAS parka and love them dearly. I'm looking for an anorak that is roomy and durable to wear in warmer conditions. Is Ventile similar in feel and weave to the fabric used in those parkas? Jerry

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Thanks again for the advice/help! I live in the desert SW, so extreme waterproffing is not really a concern as much as durability and breathability. I have Ventile envisioned in my head as similar to the fabric used to make the SAS parkas. I have both a DPM and Desert DPM SAS parka and love them dearly. I'm looking for an anorak that is roomy and durable to wear in warmer conditions. Is Ventile similar in feel and weave to the fabric used in those parkas? Jerry

Its cotton but not as we know it. Basically a really really tight weave of cotton I think addyb probably said it best in the other thread:-

addyb said:
No, actually Ventile isn't proofed although some people use Nikwax of Grangers products on them every so often. Ventile is one of those really unique pieces of outdoor kit that is in it's own category. Sortof like Jimi Hendrix and guitar. Nothing else like it before, and nothing else like it after.

It's actually quite fascinating how the fabric works because it goes against the grain of everything I was ever taught about outdoor kit. It's 100% cotton but it's woven into an extremely tight oxford weave. It's so tightly woven that if you were to ever try and re-dye one, you'll only get one side of the fabric coloured. So, it fends off a lot of rain because of how tight the weave in. But being cotton, after a while a bit of water does start to soak in. And that's Ventile's big secret. When it starts to get wet, the individual fibres in the weave actually expand and tighten up. (At least, that's in theory)

The sad truth of the matter is that when Ventile gets wet it gets bl**dy heavy and bl**dy stiff and takes ages to dry. But that's cotton for ya! And because it has no waterproof coating or laminate, a garment can't be seam sealed. That means after a few hours in the rain the seams start to leak.

You get jackets in single/double layer. Single layer is very good for wind proofing and very breathable but will let water in after a sustained heavy downpour. Double layer is very waterproof. Both breath very well (like most natural fabrics) particularly in cold conditions. Gor-tex stops working when the temperature inside the clothing is as cold as the outside air temperature i.e. it needs a temp gradient to work so if you are wearing insulative layers under you shell that are so efficient that the gap between them and the shell takes on the air temp then the gortex stops working so condensation builds up which in turn turns to ice ....... the ventile carries on trucking. I suspect that it get very cold down your way in the desert during winter (and snows?).

Also ventile is a lot tougher than gortex (very tough to rip it on a cactus!), doesn't melt in contact with fire sparks etc so generally fairly indestructible and if it does it's easily repaired.

However, it does get heavy when wet and very stiff (cardboard like) as the outside fibers swell to repel water.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands

Wouldn't any good quality cotton weave work well in this environment. In our last heatwave ('76) I wore a WW2 desert jacket in the day. It worked very well and old fellows in pubs kept buying me drinks and telling me war stories about N Africa. I suspect that most of them were more familiar with N Wales.
Also, will an anorak style give enough ventilation?

B

bluemountaingunworks

Again, many thanks for the great info! Nobby, yes any cotton works fine. In fact, my usual atture is a T-shirt, pair of old 100% rip-stop US BDU's, ball cap and US desert boots. Once any garment gets soaked with sweat, it becomes an evaporative cooler and works swell. No shirt is always an option as well! I like the utilitarianism of an anorak, appreciate the natural fiber of cotton, and really have a thing for British DPM camo! I think I'll give Ventile a try and go with the Hilltrek. You all have provided me with a wealth of info and advice. I appreciate your thoughts and time. Take care and God Bless! Jerry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE