& Does anyone really eat worms & rats & s

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
... worms... yes, dry them out, grind um into powder and use as a stock. If you are not keen on the taste, mix half and half with an oxo.

I steer clear of rats and other rubbish/carrion eaters (city pigeons)..... but a rat in the jungle living off fruit, or a wild-wood pigeon would be fine.

Ed

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I've eaten worms - they'd been starved for a couple of days to purge the muck out, then boiled & eaten like noodles. ISTR they were about as bland, too. Lots of work to gather, and I'd rather try to fish with them.

Rat - curried, baked in foil. This was not your average sewer scavenger, as it was purchased from a pet shop for the purpose (again, IIRC).

Moths - raw, very bitter. Silly stunt.

Spiders - roasted, quite nutty.

Ah, the joys of the cadet force (or was that farce?)...

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Had worms in an omelette so that we could get used to the idea of eating them. When the instructor said to collect worms, I thought we were going fishing so I got the biggest fattest ones we could find. Hadn't soaked them or cleaned them out though so they were very gritty. They didn't taste of much though, so when prepared properly they should be OK as a sort of garnish or to crumble up and add to the meal as "stock" I suppose.

Didn't try the moths, having watched a friend trying to swallow one I thought they may be a bit dry. Tried ants, but couldn't get enough to make a decent mouthful.

That is kind of the extent of my natures kitchen experience...apart from fruits and berries, oh and Rabbit and pigeon but that's normal food isn't it.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I remember Argentine troops surrendering half starved during the Falkland war. Those guys were surrounded by sheep and starving? Most of us Americans are grossly overweight anyway. I saw it on the news just today. Somebody went on holiday and picked out the yanks based on wieght. Most objections to "yukkie"food are cultural. Whats the difference between escargo or lobster to a grasshopper? I thought I had tempered my stomach in the survival schools the military put me through.Then I was invited to a filipino dinner. I love the food, and when a large single egg was presented "no Problem." Well, it is called balut, a duck egg equivelent to veal. I opened said shell to see an embryonic duck staring back at me in it's own juices.

Mar 2, 2004
no chance! rabbits.pigeon.sheep.goat,chicken.phesant,yes....but never and never will eat slimeys or other yukkies. theres always something more palatable to be found in my experience. its nice to have a choice isnt it.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Urban rats are a no-no ... way too much disease and nasties.

Barn rats used to be a staple in these parts during the war and before ...

No, not BS or myth :-D

S

slyfox

fry a worm on a brick from the fire is alright, tastes like bacon, better than nettle tea it may have vitamins an iron but it tastes like sh*t.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Depends on the palette I guess. From a nutritional point of view, the worms are a lot better for you (not to mention the fact that they are probably a lot more hygienic). As we become more westernized and urbanized, we eat more for taste, texture and "feel good" than for sustenance and nutrition.
the naughty boy said:
why not just pick your nose, it would be more palatable in my opinion.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There is a great misconcrption that wild food tastes like sh*t but you can survive on it.... This is untrue. It is just a case of increasing your repetoir of edible food and learning how to cook. You would not believe the difference a few gathered herbs and some seasoning can do to a meal.... get the cooking times right for texture and flavor and you'll eat like royalty in the field.

:)
Ed

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
all food was wild at one point ,humans just prefer to see it looking pretty in boxes now,totaly agree with what you say ,being a veggiie , you have to think about what you eat and my own thoughts are its something you have to do so you may as well enjoy it,wierdly enough after not eating fish fror 6 years i tried it the other day , salmon over a fire, tasted lovely but my body had a few things to point out for the rest of the week, anyway i think it was something i was curious about and have now (excuse the pun) got it out of my system, cheers al :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Absolutely ... it's in picking the items at the right time, knowing what goes well together and cooking it in the right way. There is a period of palette adjustment too, but that's not surprising when you look at what we eat nowadays!

Ed said:
There is a great misconcrption that wild food tastes like sh*t but you can survive on it.... This is untrue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE