Does anyone know if this is true?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HoosierJed

Feb 6, 2006
Indiana,USA
This is in the "The SAS Survival Handbook” by John Wiseman:
The ‘SAS’ refers to the Special Air Service, an elite unit of the British Army. Wiseman served with this unit for 26 years, including a stint as an instructor.

* When animals don’t get enough water, even normally tame ones may attack you.

This is the first that I have heard of this and I grew up on a farm....spent a lot of time in the woods... and have not seen this happen. Does anyone know if this is true?

HoosierJed

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
When animals are desperate, they will do anything. It is instinct. The same with humans.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I can't say for sure as I really don't know but..... try not taking in any liquid for a few days yourself and see how crabby you get ;)

(Hydration is very important.....do not really try the above, I mention it to highlight a point and do not suggest anybody tries it).

Cheers,

Bam. :D

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
bambodoggy said:
I can't say for sure as I really don't know but..... try not taking in any liquid for a few days yourself and see how crabby you get ;)

Weird, I get like that in the morning if i've had too much liquid the night before... Strange thing hydration... ;)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
HoosierJed said:
This is in the "The SAS Survival Handbook” by John Wiseman:
The ‘SAS’ refers to the Special Air Service, an elite unit of the British Army. Wiseman served with this unit for 26 years, including a stint as an instructor.

* When animals don’t get enough water, even normally tame ones may attack you.

This is the first that I have heard of this and I grew up on a farm....spent a lot of time in the woods... and have not seen this happen. Does anyone know if this is true?

HoosierJed

Don't know about lack of water, but lack of food will certainly make a difference. Our county is fairly rural and forested. Our area is 2100 square miles with a population of 11,218 people - or 5.3 people per square mile. Our county seat, Two Harbors, Minnesota, is 4, 500 people. When we have a bad berry year, there are times when we have an average of 10 bear complaints per night - in the city limits. Rural folks usually don't call at all.

There are other variables that affect animals. When we have a bad tick year - it drives the moose nuts. Then the bear complaints are replaced with moose complaints.

PG

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

I can't speak from experience with animals, however it does make sense to me as a physician. In the mild-to-moderate dehydration scenario, the animal would be stressed and may have unpredictable behaviour... "crabby", as mentioned above :)

In more severe dehydration, people may become delirious, and I would expect animals to as well. Even calm, friendly folks may become paranoid and combative when delirious. A delirious deer probably doesn't see bugs on the wall... that's part of everyday life :)

Mike

HoosierJed

Feb 6, 2006
Indiana,USA
When the days are hot and dry and livestock has a powerful thirst they will charge through a person when they smell water. I have experienced this myself growing up on the farm. I wouldn't call this an attack. I wouldn't want to stand between a herd of elephants when they smell water after 2-3 days without water. :eek:

HoosierJed

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Aloha Everyone,

I have been lurking and reading and have finally joined. Thank you for all of the great information so far. I hope that I can contribute from time to time as well.

Not too sure about other animals' temperaments when they don't have enough water. I just know that my wife goes totally NUTS and SNAPS when she is hungry or thirsty. For my own safety and sanity and that of my kids, I try to keep her well watered and well fed.

Oh boy, how is that for a first post? It wasn't what I had in mind, but... :lmao:

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
have you tried poking her with a stick while hungry ?

tends to **** them off too

its a great game a bit like buckaroo see how many pokes its takes till she smacks you

HoosierJed

Feb 6, 2006
Indiana,USA
I just found out that it's a proven fact that lack of water will intensify pain. This happens with both animals and humans. With this in mind, an animal that lacks water may attack a person if it's in pain. Other than this I just can't figure an animal attacking just because it is thirsty. I say "may" because it depends on the personality of each animal.

HoosierJed

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
My experience of seriously thirsty animals is limited only to cattle, but they can go off the wall if they have been deprived of water.

They don't become more aggressive, but their desperation makes them much more susceptible to panic, so they are much easier to spook. And if you happen to be standing in the most convenient escape route...

I can see something similar happening with wild animals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE