Discovery 158

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As some of you might know, I was struggling with the question of how best to get into Canadian canoing.

I had almost settled on a pelican explorer dlx from costco but after even more thought on the matter, decided to hang on and see what cropped up.

Well,to cut a short story long, I'm picking up a nearly new,Old Town Discovery 158, tomorrow.
I'm also getting a couple of new abs paddles and a pair of b-a's thrown in, for not a huge amount more than I would have shelled out for the pelican and gear, brand new.

To be honest, the thing that put me off the pelican was the middle seat/beer cooler thing, it was taking up too much room and wouldn't have been used for beer anyway!

I've also arranged for some more tuition, this time locally, with a work colleague who happens to be a canoing instructor!

So, you never know, If your paddling along on one of the lake district waters this summer/autumn and you pass a green disco 158 with a grinning idiot, trying not to fall out or hit anything, well.... it might be me!:D
So, a whole new aspect to enjoying the outdoors and learning new skills awaits:red:

Cheers and many thanks for the sound advice and tips offered by all.

R.B.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Rancid
I too have bought a canoe having considered and rejected the coleman option. I purchased a 2nd hand 16ft Symphony about three weeks ago and will be having my maiden voyage this Sunday. Transportation problems prevented it being sooner.
My first open canoe lessons were with John Fenna last year and I now have the bug!
Happy ripples
Alan

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
ive got the old town 174 and i love it, some instruction is also a good idea especialy were safety is concerned,
Im going to the lakes in a couple of months to find a remote camping spot away from joe public, cant wait

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
We have had an Old Town Allagash 174 for two years and love it.

It will take all five of us with no problem.

SmudgeSharks.jpg

KidswithJack.jpg

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
nice one RB, OT discos are good solid boats, can't go far wrong with one. With 2 BAs and a couple of paddles that's probably another 100 quids worth, bargain!

Cheers,

Alan

rancid badger

I could hardly believe the condition of the boat when We went down to pick it up. it was virtually unmarked!
P4260033copy.jpg

this photo makes the car look tiny and the boat look massive! in fact, We only had about 2.5 feet hanging over the back and nothing beyond the nose.
Once we got it home, we had a little trouble getting it into the garden but managed ok.
P4260041copy.jpg

it's still an "it" but "Das Boot" keeps springing into my imagination:Thinkingo

P4260040copy.jpg

The paddles are....not nice to look at? and the b/a's?.......Soon to be replaced by Yak's but all in all I'm delighted!
Next it's out of the garage and on, to either Nichol End or ...er..the other marina at Dewentwater, I can't remember the name of at the moment:11doh:

cheers
R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You lucky devil! That looks great!
It hasn't even been set up yet so you have a blank canvas!
Personally, I would drill a row of holes below the gunnels and lace in about 8-9mm cord for lashing points (airbags and general kit)and, for quick storage, lace the inside loops of this with thick shockcord.
I would also drill 11mm holes stem and stern for endloops made from 11mm static climbing/abing rope (knots on the inside).
For comfort I would replace the awfully uncomfortable plastic seats with wood framed ones with seatbelt webbing seats set with the front edge about1" lower than the back (for ease in kneeling) and add a centre seat or kneeling thwart for solo paddling.
I would also fit a mast foot and pierced thwart up near the back of the front seat for canoe sailing.
I wish you lived nearer so I could help you get the most from this fine craft!
This picture shows Humpback in by Prospector (set up for solo paddling) showing what I mean by the lacing and grab loops.
Apr02_50-1.jpg

I cannot find digital pictures of my 158s....

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Personally, I would drill a row of holes below the gunnels ...
I would also drill 11mm holes stem and stern for endloops ...

with all these holes drilled, will it still float ?? :joke:

If you can find a 'real' photo then take a picture of it with your digicam and post that ;)

Steve (who tried canoing for the first time last weekend :D )

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup - it floats! Does white water nicely with lots of places to lash kit in safely!
Unfortunately the photos of my 158s are slides.....
John - who is a totally mad keen canoeist and has been for too many years! (Level 4 coach)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Unfortunately the photos of my 158s are slides.....
so project it on a wall and photgraph that :p

or if you're really creative... I once managed an A4 print of a photo created by taking a photograph of a 35mm negative taped to a window, and inverting the colours in photoshop :D
John - who is a totally mad keen canoeist and has been for too many years! (Level 4 coach)
Never tried it before, due to not being a strong swimmer.. but having tried it, and going on a canoing trip in Sweden at the end of may, i might have to investigate further..

but first I need to offload some of my bushcrafty/camping kit to make room :eek:

rancid badger

You lucky devil! That looks great!
It hasn't even been set up yet so you have a blank canvas!
Personally, I would drill a row of holes below the gunnels and lace in about 8-9mm cord for lashing points (airbags and general kit)and, for quick storage, lace the inside loops of this with thick shockcord.
I would also drill 11mm holes stem and stern for endloops made from 11mm static climbing/abing rope (knots on the inside).
For comfort I would replace the awfully uncomfortable plastic seats with wood framed ones with seatbelt webbing seats set with the front edge about1" lower than the back (for ease in kneeling) and add a centre seat or kneeling thwart for solo paddling.
I would also fit a mast foot and pierced thwart up near the back of the front seat for canoe sailing.
I wish you lived nearer so I could help you get the most from this fine craft!
This picture shows Humpback in by Prospector (set up for solo paddling) showing what I mean by the lacing and grab loops.
Apr02_50-1.jpg

Whooaaa! easy tiger:D
lost you around about "set up yet" caught up again around "awfully uncomfortable plastic seat's" ( I found these very comfortable, but I suppose you end up with a sweaty stern( see! nautical) after a few hours on a warm day.

And drilling holes? :( "Das Boot" is still shiney! I'm going to take my time and see how things pan out but I welcome any opinion's/advice on set up etc.

The boat is virtually brand new to be honest, I really don't think I could have done better unless I actually went to a shop!

I think a bit of in depth chit chat around setting up etc. might be wise;) stand by to have your brains picked:p

Best wishes

R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do understand - I was unsure of the wisdom of drilling holes in a new boat - to start with!
Now I would not go on the water in a boat without at least some good endloops!
Have a bit of time on SOTP - I think they will agree with me ......

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Looking good. Congratulations.
As I said on your other thread I have a fair respect for the Pelicans hull shape for tandem flatwatering but that has more versitility and more importantly looks better.:D

Happy paddling, there's nothing quite like it.

LL_JUN_10.jpg

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
RB - that looks a stunning boat, almost looks new! Das boot sounds good, need to watch out for you with my Battleship Potemkin ;) I'm a relative newb at this open canoe malarky too but I've posted a outfitting thread on SotP here and as usual there are 101 opinions on outfitting and this is just mine!

bikething - I'm not a strong swimmer either but with a PFD and strong will to live :eek: I'm just a little more careful. I'm more worried with for family when we're out. I put a couple of big buoyancy blocks in so the boat rides quite high in the water, even when full and I'm not intending to do much whitewater, maybe the odd grade I or II

Cheers,

Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - hr-ere we have a photo of one of my old 158s - parially lacedand with end loops
Apr28957.jpg

My Pyrana Prospector - fully laced, with webbing seat, end loops, sailing twart etc, fitted for solo white water (I partially deflate the big airbags and lace them smaller for touring on easy water) the knots on the end loops should be inside the hull and I no longer use the "grab tapes" hanging from them.
Apr28959.jpg

And just to prove it will float with all those holes - grade 2 water on the Gwili West Wales (I only wear a helmet on grade 3 and up). Note the "swim lines" in bags on the front and rear decks.
Apr28958.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE