Deep Fried Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I made this teaspoon last week with my new frosts clipper and my spoon knife. As I've seen on this forum I heated it gently in a pan of oil, or at least that was the plan :eek: , the timer I set didn't buzz, or I didn't hear it or something.

Anyway by the time I remembered and went to look the oil had got pretty hot :eek: , I fished the spoon out and left it to cool down. And now I have a brown spoon, here it is along with another spoon made out of the same piece of wood.

So Im asking what made it so dark, I imagine that the wood has got very slightly charred but I'm not shore. Is it ok to use? will it last? It does have a slight burnt caramel smell but I have tried it in a cup of tea and it didn't seem to give the tea any taste. And if it's ok then it mite be a way of getting an interesting finish.

Any thought are welcome.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I love it!

I guess its a bit like a cooked chip - the longer you leave it in the oil the darker it gets??

I'm sure it wont be a problem to use and if you're really not sure you could always send it to me...... :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
In Scotland we have been known to deep fry Mars Bars, but this is different. Great looking spoon, very distinctive :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Wood is a vegetable matter. If you deep fry it it will burn. In this case seeing as you don't intend to eat the spoon, no harm done. It looks good though. At least you can be sure the oil has penetrated right into the wood so it shouldn't split or crack. If you leave it in a cup of hot tea though you'll probably find a skin of oil on top of the tea.

Eric

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Thanks for all the comments and kind words about my handy work :D .

I'll keep on using it then and mite try the same process in the future, it certainly does give a nice finish.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
That's how I've always done my spoons since the first one back in 1986. You just got it a bit overdone. Nice effect though.

Oh, we're still using that first one! :)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I did this to one of mine, then did the same with mineral oil - advice from a member here - (available for £3) from Ikea). It doesn't darken it or leave that smell.

I'm not sure I know which I prefer - maybe it's nice to have both!

Yeah I did the same too (after being inspired by the spoon in the post above a few weeks back) here:

EDIT : this was before I did the oil boil dip! I can't seem to find the pics post oiling. Never mind, I'm sure you can guess what it will look like. I just left in the pan submerged until all the bubbles stopped coming out.

DSCF0751Small.jpg

DSCF0748Small.jpg

it makes a great colour. I love all of the spoons in the preceding posts guys, keep them coming!!!

woodwalker

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You could try using a pan of hot water to then put your container of oil into next time. It will work like when the cooks melt chocolate for cookig and will ensure that yor oil doesn't go over 100 degrees Celcius. A bit of a faff, but if yu don't want your spoon to get scorched, it is a good way of maintaining the heat.

To be honest though, I quite like your burnt spoon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE