Day in the woods - pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Rockmonkey and I (no Hugo this week, you were missed mate and you would have loved these woods) visited a new woodland today, well i say new, ive been here before but have not visited them since i was about twelve, just a few years ago now.

These woods, unlike our usual haunts, are not wild but are a managed woodland that generates an income stream for the estate, but there are so many different environments within the one area big woodland, from Piney woods, to Beech plantation, to Firs & Larches, to Chesnut & Hazel coppice to Birch, yep it's a right old mix, but from now on they are just the Piney Woods - cos it's easier:).

Walking in

DSCN2102.jpg

over the field that is totally open under the right to roam act

DSCN2103.jpg

although this field sits on a hill, we had a rain storm first thing this morning and the field was a bit soggy to say the least

DSCN2105.jpg

DSCN2105.jpg

DSCN2108.jpg

Entrance to the woods

DSCN2109.jpg

and in

DSCN2110.jpg

nice shelter built from some of the brush left over from the last batch of forestry work that was undertaken

DSCN2112.jpg

bit further in and the rides are as, if not more soggy than the field, but again, this is a working woodland, so you have to expect it

DSCN2115.jpg

DSCN2117.jpg

Just down a bot we heard a rustle to our right, a quick look was rewarded with a small herd of Roe Deer who just ambled on their way, not really bothered by our presence that much at all.

DSCN2121.jpg

bit further down the ride

DSCN2119.jpg

the first of many log piles, and No Hugo, when you come over here you cannot have a bonnie with them:lmao:

DSCN2125.jpg

DSCN2126.jpg

As we wandered down the ride, coming up the opposite ride were a number of horses from the adjacent Stud Farm

DSCN2133.jpg

time for a brew, so we stopped in a good looking spot and had a cuppa.

DSCN2134.jpg

after which we carried on exploring

DSCN2136.jpg

DSCN2138.jpg

DSCN2139.jpg

we followed the path down until it split into different directions, so we elected to go along a field edge in the hope seeing some wildlife, but the first thing we encountered was a huge old Beech covered in Fungi

DSCN2142.jpg

DSCN2143.jpg

we were not disappointed with the wildlife either, just down the field was a Roe Deer, which we saw, just before it ducked through the hedge.

DSCN2144.jpg

then as we went further down we looked over one of the paddocks and sitting in the tree were two stunningly beautiful kestrels who gave us a great display of their flying and hunting skills, they are in this photo, can you see them, sorry but all i had with me was my compact camera and this piccie was taken on max zoom

DSCN2147.jpg

while we were watching the Kestrels, we looked up and saw a pair of Red Kites, absolutely stunning and the highlight of the day for me, there are a few more getting around here now, but they are still a rare sight in these parts, no photo's im afraid.

a bit firther down and the only slope we had to climb all day, it was also incredibly windy and at this point RM's hat thought it would turn itself into a flying object, he got it back though.

DSCN2152.jpg

back in the woods again now

DSCN2157.jpg

and up another ride, and an example of the differing environments in the one area

DSCN2159.jpg

more wood stacks

DSCN2161.jpg

and stunning woodland

DSCN2163.jpg

DSCN2166.jpg

a pit of some sort, the rise in the middle appears to be a slope or ramp of some sort as it rises to meet the lip of the pit

DSCN2168.jpg

natural sculpture, you just cant beat it.

DSCN2170.jpg

one of the coppice sections

DSCN2173.jpg

we nipped into the piney woods for a quick brew up - Bushcraft Style

DSCN2175.jpg

DSCN2176.jpg

Brewing up to make Needle Tea

DSCN2186.jpg

as RM put it "it tastes like the smell of toilet cleaner", yup, i have to agree, although it was drinkable, it wouldn't be my first choice, but it beats Nettle Tea hands down

We had decided a couple of days ago to go light for this trip, well lighter than usual, so i took my bimble bag

DSCN2190.jpg

and RM, took his new 20ltr Norge pack, superb it is

DSCN2191.jpg

time was getting on now and it was time to head out and back to the car

DSCN2206.jpg

RM, just about to go for a swim:)

DSCN2210.jpg

Looking back at where we had been all day

DSCN2212.jpg

view north over the South Downs and the end of a superb day in the woods.

DSCN2213.jpg

Roll on next week

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Great photo's mate, twas a great day out, shame Hugo was unable to come along for the ride!
Always next week!

RM

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for sharing that Mark, looks like a little bit of paradise, well, when it dries up a bit!
It has given me log-pile envy though, not sure that's a good thing.

Dave.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was a great day our Dave, the log piles were huge as you can imagine from a forestry operation, looking at some of the customer names sprayed on them, i would imagine the rubbish timber, ie anything that's not Beech, is going to get chipped and turned into wood chip/pellets for energy production, of course all of this logging means that spread over huge areas of the forest floor and just left to rot are lumps of Birch & Beech of the perfect size for spoon carving, im going to see if i can get in touch with one of the Estate managers and gain permission to collect a few bits to take away.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Nice. Similar to friston forest in a lot of ways (the mix of tree types, i guess thats common to managed woodland).

Must admit I tried pine tea a while back too, its more tolerable with a dab of honey in it..... but nothing rivals good old tetley ;)

Quite envious of you seeing kites, my avian viewing seems to be kestrels and buzzards....

Last edited:

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I can still taste that pine needle tea even now!, it was like drinking hot pine toilet cleaner having been heated in the plastic bottle!
Thanks for the needle drink idea yesterday Kep!:)

RM

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks a nice place to have a bimble, next week I should be OK to go.
Thanks for posting Kepis mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE