Date a restored old Crosscut Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2016
UK
Hi, firstly thanks for having me and secondly apologies for asking for help as my first post, you probably get this a lot.

I run a scout Troop and we had this 4 foot, 2 handed saw donated to us a few years ago. We use it regularly on camps but have never really looked after it, in fact it was stored next to the garage tap and it was pretty rusty.

I decided to clean it up and sharpen it just to make the cutting easier, but after a lot of elbow grease, then I got looking into the history. Firstly it's stamped "T Suffolk & Co". Indications are there was no such firm and this may have been a trading name for Thomas Turner's lower quality saws. Also the badge cleaned up amazingly well - looking it up, it seems this "warranted superior" sheffield may be a bit of a generic thing, again maybe for lower quality saws. Also I note from the tooth pattern, the lack of an obvious taper and the awkward positioning of the metal 2nd handle, that this may have been built as a one person saw and the 2nd handle added later.

I'm now aware that by consensus of forum posts I've viewed, I may have 'overcleaned' it. But it's going to go up on the wall at our scout hut and most importantly it will still be actively used at all our camps, and now taken a bit more care of!

None of that though takes me any closer to how old this saw might be? Turners went out of business in 1932 apparently so with it potentially being over 80 years old already, I'd be interested if it's possible to be any more specific. Any help or ideas, would be great. Many thanks!

saw_1.jpg

saw_3.jpg

saw_2.jpg

saw_4.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Handles ( the main one) were common until the 1960's I believe.
I think you did a winderful job. Personally I would do the same you did, restoring it to as good condition as possible, then I would put it up on a wall.
I would not use it. Too old and nice!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
if you filed and set the teeth properly you should have a wonderful tool for processing firewood there! I love the way they sing as you cut. And unless they are museum stuff you should restore toold to a working state.

Aug 4, 2016
UK
Hi thanks for the replies guys, there's no question it will be getting used - will just have to take a lot more care of it to keep it looking this nice!

Any suggestions if there's any way to tell more accurately when it was made though? Do you know if there's a better place to ask?

Cheers

Hi, firstly thanks for having me and secondly apologies for asking for help as my first post, you probably get this a lot.

Don't worry about this mate, that's what the forum is for.
I came on here knowing nothing. I still know very very little, but eventually by asking questions we can learn and once you become one of these long standing members, you'll be answering other new persons questions :) cycle of knowledge wotwot

Wranglerstar uses crosscut saws, but I doubt the yanks can help with an olde English saw :(
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE