Danish Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just wondering if Danish Oil is similar to Linseed Oil?

I want to finish my knife with an oil to bring out the grain and I already have some Danish Oil.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Zammo said:
Just wondering if Danish Oil is similar to Linseed Oil?

I want to finish my knife with an oil to bring out the grain and I already have some Danish Oil.

Danish oil is a bit like thin varnish. It gives a matte, hard (ish) Finnish.

Sort of like a easy and simple french polish if you will.

John

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
You can make your own with equal parts of varnish, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.

It will be fine for your knife handle.

I like to heat it in a soup can set in boiling water. That makes it penetrate the wood deeper and dry faster. Apply a heavy coat let it set a few minutes then rub it into the wood. Wipe off any excess and let it dry at least 24 hours. Rub with extra fine steel wool or 300 grit or higher sand paper between coats. Repeat three to four times.

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
I always use Danish oil to finish a handle. Depending on the wood it can make it look allot darker, I found it makes mahogany go much darker but not much of a difference on oak. I like to mix the first coat with white spirit to help it penetrate deeper. I usually do about 5 coats and then polish it up; the oil will feel soft for two or so weeks until it hardens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE