Dangers of loosing green belts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Last Updated: Thursday, 8 September 2005, 23:30 GMT 00:30 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
English countryside 'almost gone'
Heather in the Yorkshire Dales
The CPRE fears scenes like these could become extinct
England faces losing most of its real countryside in a generation if current trends continue, a report claims.
BBC website said:
The Campaign to Protect Rural England's document says rural traffic is getting heavier, bird species are dying out and farm workers are declining in number.

The group wants ministers to curb land development and to encourage local food and commodity procurement.

The government says it does not accept the "doomsday scenario", saying the countryside is "attractive".

That just about does it for me... Over fifty years ago, I think it was Goerge Orwell who wrote something along the lines that it is the very the fact that the English love the countryside so much, that it is doomed. He argued that the desire to live in a sort of idyllic rural environment, yet work in the city and enjoy the convenience of shops and commerce, will lead to vast sprawling suburbs criss-crossed with roads, and the eventual disappearance of anything like a real agricultural community in the British Isles.

When a government mouthpiece states that something is "attractive", that means to me "there is some money to be made from its development", i.e. w"e'll sell it to a property developer so he can build yuppie flats".

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE