Crab Apple Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Hi

Surprised to find a whole load of crab apples today. I didn't think they were ripe until autumn. They're really red. Are they good to pick now? :?:

Cheers :wave:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Well, I'm not dead ... :eek:):
Lovliest apple sauce I've ever had!!! :super:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Kath,acording to Ray Mears crab apples are a bit on the sour side just eaten as they are, but if you cook them they,re supposed be nice and sweet check out his book "Bushcraft". if they,re red i would imagine they would be ready,i suppose the best way to find out is have a bite and see but i,m guessing they,ll be quite tart to the taste.I have noticed that everything seems to be a bit early this year, i,ve found field mushrooms already up here and we don,t usually see them until september,i,m putting it down to the warm spell in the spring and then all this wet weather we,ve had of late.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
yea they should be fine Kath.I believe 'crabs' have a shorter fruiting season cos they dont need so long to grow big.
The red cultivar is usually Malus John Downey

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Stuart right, My hazel patch looks like they'll be ready in a couple of weeks! the crop seems to be large this year as well.
I've noticed a heavy crop of berries on the hawthorn and hollies this year as well. old wives tale= heavy winter :cry:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
bushwacker bob said:
I've noticed a heavy crop of berries on the hawthorn and hollies this year as well. old wives tale= heavy winter :cry:
Yes, it looks like it's going to be a good year for berries! :super:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Cheers guys. They tasted fine! :yumyum:

(Mind you I added a ton of sugar! :wink:)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yeah it looks like the berries and nuts will be a little early this year.... I'll let you know come harvest time and I check my diaries ;-)

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE