Corkscrew for the sliver birch sap?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
RM did this in one of the Tracks episodes. He inserted the knife blade in horizontally, then inserted a small, shaped stick, at about 45 degrees downwards for the sap flow along and then drip off into a container placed below. He then removed the stick and just closed up the bark surrounding the cut when he was done. No need for a spile as the cut is so small and shallow.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just bought a 1" scotch auger on ebay just in time for early spring, I can't wait to taste my first birch sap!:)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Please remember to be really really careful not to damage the tree too much while doing this, you DON'T need to drill in very far.

If possible avoid using an auger unless you know what you are doing and need lots of sap. I can collect a billy full over night using just the mini-awl thingy on the back of my SAK and keeping it small will help to lessen the stress to the tree.

Also please don't forget to plug the holes you make properly and give the tree a fighting chance to heal itself.

Many thanks and enjoy the sap responcibly ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
bambodoggy said:
Please remember to be really really careful not to damage the tree too much while doing this, you DON'T need to drill in very far.

If possible avoid using an auger unless you know what you are doing and need lots of sap. I can collect a billy full over night using just the mini-awl thingy on the back of my SAK and keeping it small will help to lessen the stress to the tree.

Also please don't forget to plug the holes you make properly and give the tree a fighting chance to heal itself.

Many thanks and enjoy the sap responcibly ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Will do Bam, thanks for the advice, I'll make sure the tree isn't damaged and will restore it to its former glory when I'm done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE