Comb - TUTORIAL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Split a slither of wood off a block. The grain in my comb runs vertically so that the teeth have much strength. I chose to use Ash wood because it is quite strong, when the wood seasons it will become harder and stronger.

comb1.jpg

I used this knife to do all the carving on the comb, Its my Grandads old farming knife. It has a few different sized knives and a tool for making wholes in leather which i find is also good at making wholes in thin wood.

comb2.jpg

Carve the sides of the split wood smooth ans straight.

comb3.jpg

I also rounded the top two corners.

comb4.jpg

I drew a straight line across the wood to show me where the base of the teeth should start. I then made a small whole in the centre with the whole boaring tool (you could simply use the tip of your knife or just try carving without these wholes)

comb5.jpg

comb6.jpg

I carved the wood out between the bottom of the comb and the whole to create a small gap.

comb7.jpg

Keep making the wholes along the line and carving out the gaps to make individual teeth.

comb8.jpg

You are going to need some patience for this job... Round each tooth off and point the bottom slightly.

comb9.jpg

Finished comb:

comb10.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice!
If I had hair I would try one of these!
Actually. I will be growing my beard for a play I am going to be in this Xmas....hmmmmmm!
John

H

Heathenpeddler

Only thing I'd suggest is to put a support along the top edge with the grain running the other way as that will help prevent the comb breaking in half, much the same way as bone/antler combs were made.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Only thing I'd suggest is to put a support along the top edge with the grain running the other way as that will help prevent the comb breaking in half, much the same way as bone/antler combs were made.

I had thought of doing that but im going to wait and see how durable it is when the wood has dried.

Maybe i should have made it from a piece of wood near to the side of the log so that the grain is straighter in the horizontal direction too, if you get what i mean...

I'll make another proberbly. This is only my second.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I think youd find beech easier to do because the grain is fine and not as agressive and leading as in ash. Or elm might be worth a try it doesnt split easily because of its wild grain structure, but you would need real sharp blade to carve elm cleanly. You could start out with the blankk about 1/2 an inch or so thick, then thin it down on the teeth area to a few mm, so the handle is extra thick and strong. Maybe a hot wire or nail would make the holes neater? Or a little bow drill with a nail bit? Saw kerf to get a real fine tooth pattern?
I once made a big comb to knock threads down on a loom I made some year's ago, and found it essential to carefully smoothen and polish the insides of each tooth so as it wouldnt snag on the threads, and the tooth spacing had to be exact also.
cheers Jonathan :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE