Coleman canisters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
My son is doing his bronze DOE expedition soon. He has a Coleman 250 canister that has been used for approx. one 15 minute boil so far.

I am guessing he will need to do about another 4 or 5 15 minute boils.

Do you think this canister will be enough for that or should I get him a spare ?

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
For all they cost get another one. The larger ones are better value, compared to the micro (100g) size which work out expensive for how much gas is in them.

Tonyuk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Two canisters is one canister and a back up - one canister can too easily become no canister....

As per John, buy 2 canisters and let him take the 2 full ones so you're not guessing at how much he has left in the used one, the used one can be used on a different camp when not so crucial :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A spare would be handy, gives a bit of security. I'd say he has easily enough in the one he has, but it's highly dependent on conditions like wind, temperature, altitude, stove type, etc. If he doesn't have a windbreak for his stove, it might be worth considering. The Gelert ones are efficient and cheap

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Just a note of caution, I am not sure of the type of canister you refer to ( whether it is the type., where the stove spikes
the top of the canister, or if it screws on to the canister. ). I was involved as a leader of a Venture Scout group when we
went on a camping trek of several days. One of the Scouts awoke one morning with a severe headache and not feeling
too good. We discovered that he had had his stove in his rucksack in the tent with him and there was a leak of
gas from the stove, all night, and he had been breathing this in all night. It so happened that once he was up and out
in the fresh air, everything got back to normal. From then on we did not permit stoves to be kept inside the tents over
night, but under the outer, I suppose that this could happen with either type of stove that takes gas refills if they are
not checked. We were fortunately in an isolated area where the likelihood of the stoves being stolen did not arise.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'd buy a different make if I were you. IME Coleman cans do not burn as well as other brands. It is likely the mix of gases but could actually be a can design issue. I have got nearly 6 days use out of a 100g primus gas can. Mind you that's down to being used to my stove of choice and being very efficient with fuel. I don't simmer I bring to the boil then pour into the dried food pouch then that goes into an insulation pouch made to fit the packet size. That means I've got 3 minute boils and no simmer to get a meal and a cup of coffee. I then feed on the food that doesn't need the stove.

As you can tell use of gas has so.many factors from your style of use through to temperature, wind, stove design, etc. Impossible to guarantee your son's gas needs.

My best advice is to take an unused can for important trips. Take at least 100g can more than you think you'll need for longer trips if resupply isn't viable. Use primus, optimus/crux, MSR cans. Avoid cheap no name brands, avoid Coleman cans. Get cans with at least a propane/butane mix. Iso-butane is often good to.have as well. Take a 6g Ti solid fuel/esbit stove as back up perhaps. They are three fold out legs with a rectangular tray to hold the esbit fuel tab. Nearly no weight but reliable burn for backup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE