Climate change and Rising Sea levels in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
This i not meant to sound like some survivalists plan for a collapsing world, but recently I have been looking into the effects on our coastline that rising sea levels will have. It seems even more pertinent now, what with Hurricanes and Tsunamis occuring all over the world.
Probably it is something that will not really be an issue for me, however the change on the UK's landscape may well be a big issue for my children and children's children. It has led me to think carefully about where I end up living and raising a family - The Thames valley is clearly right out.
For anyone who is interested there seem to be three main predictions for sea level increases. Below are the three maps of how this will affect our coast-line:
The first is following a 7metre rise if the Greenland or West Antarctic Ice Sheet melted, then 13metres if both the Greenland and West Antarctic Ice Sheet melted and finally 84metres if the East Antarctic Ice Sheet also melted.
As I mentioned above I am certainly not some doomsaying survivalist, and there's certainly no need to grab your bug-out bag and run for the hills :rolleyes: but it sure does make you think. :(

7metre map

13 metre map

84 metre map

If anyone is interested I can post more info on this, storm surge effects etc.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Interesting maps those Marts 84 m and we are in trouble we will certainly be the British Isles then!!!:eek:

In your research have you looked at any information on the North Atlantic Conveyor (gulf stream) stopping? :( All the info I’ve seen about climate change and the uk seems to say that this will happen way before the see levels rise and cause us all sorts of problems making life in the uk extremely difficult for most.

Sorry for being a bit vague off sick and brain a bit stuffed:rolleyes:

leon-1

I liked the 84m map, it shows where I live as an island. Property taxes would not be a major issue either in this event as you could more or less gaurentee that the infrastucture to implement them would no longer be in place.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
leon-1 said:
I liked the 84m map, it shows where I live as an island. Property taxes would not be a major issue either in this event as you could more or less gaurentee that the infrastucture to implement them would no longer be in place.

True, they would be on your doorstep. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE