Carved My First Official Spoon - Mora, GB, SFA and Hook Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have carved my first spoon!

On Friday, our neighbour had a crew in to trim their Locust tree. It is a huge tree and it overhangs my backyard, and keeps the summer sun from heating their house and in part our house and backyard. I have always found the leaf patterns of a Locust tree fascinating, and was very pleased to learn this was the type of tree beside me. I spoke to the neighbour the day before asking if I could keep some wood, and he was fine to have the crew leave a load of branches on my side of the fence. Early Friday morning, the tree surgeons hopped from limb to limb brandishing small saws and I asked them to leave the wood on a flagstone beside my potato patch.

The wood is surprisingly heavy, a hard wood surpassing the density and with a more compact grain of birch. I started on a small branch, and hacked away at the bark, trying to peel it off. My first efforts were disappointing, and I thought I would just give up - the debarking was initially messy and stubborn. It took a while for me to get down to the cambium and soon I was able to strip off the wood by using my Gransfors-Bruks Small Forest Axe, which I had stropped to razor-sharpness early last week.

You will see photos of my spoon along with more details at my blog! Look forward to your feedback and suggestions.

Cheers,

Mungo.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice job there mungo. Are you pleased with your efforts?.

Simon.

I rubbed some olive oil on it, I am thinking of soaking it in olive oil over night in a jar - any thoughts? I am very pleased with this spoon - my wife bought me a container of my favourite rice pudding from the shops yesterday so that I have something to use my spoon with!

I have read that some boil the wood in a saline solution prior to using it, any thoughts on this?

When I was camping last I saw a burl on a birch tree, but didn't remove it for carving a Kuksa... next time maybe!

http://mungobah.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Mungo

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I boiled my spoon in oil, but you have to be careful or else you will cook your spoon! If you can keep the temperature of the oil even and low, it won't scorch it. I suppose the best way would be to bain marie the oil in a water bath, the oil can only ever get to 100 deg C (Whatever that is in fahrenheit!).

For a first attempt, that is an excellent spoon, very proffesional.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I like that spoon, you've influenced me to make one that shape next time I get the chance.
I particularly like the bowl - nice and long, which means you can get more on it :D

Good effort - especially for a first :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE