Carrying a Shotgun on Public Transport

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep it sure is - or to fly (we don't get those lovely people you do with the "close" searches), or take a coach, or drive.

The train company don't like it. Its their trains and their land - so its their choice

IIRC the coach companies here won't take them either. The rail service (here) is a complicated matter. It's federally subsidized and they have to take them (with a very big restriction) They can only be transported (unloaded obviously) as "checked" baggage in a hard-sided, locked container that is stored (by the railway personnel) in a baggage car inaccessible by the passengers (similar to airline regs) The catch that makes it complicated is that apart from the larger cities, most rail stations are un-manned and thus don't have baggage check-in facilities. So it's really all but impossible here as well.

Ironic that it's actually easier on an airline than on the railways.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've carried gun slips on Trans pennine (north western) Virgin and whatever the welsh rail system is without problem.
nvm a shotgun, if they'd had looked at my rifle they would have been rather shocked to see an M4 Carbine.
Airsoft but still very scary looking.
pete

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I've been to Swansea on National express with a gun bag without a problem. (Replica M16)

And I've been through Birmingham newstreet station with one (De Act Enfield No4)

I've also been through sheffield countless times with a sten & or MP40 inside my bergen. Never had any problems. Aint Re-enacting great.

The only thing I'd say is take an invite to the shoot in the form of a letter saying exactly what is involved and why you'll be taking your own gun, along with the address of the shoot and organisers details inc mobile. That along with your shotgun cert and basc card should molify anyone that wants to be a***y.

Also, train station staff arent the same workers as train staff, so more often than not wont give a rats, and a conductor wont be able to see the gun bag until after you'r on the train.

All that aside, get a hard, lockable guitar case(preferable with "Fender", "Marshall, Gibson" etc stickers on it,) it'll look like your just another student going back to uni with his guitar. I have one with egg shell type foam inserts, so when I'm going anywhere with my gat's, it looks like a guitar, and if not nicely holds my Westome. Jobs a good un.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE