Canoetrip in Sweden!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Canoetrip in Swedish nature
----------------------------

A 9 day trip paddling traditional wood and canvas canoes on the Dalalven in
Sweden.

The trip starts saturday the 30th of August 14 PM at Sjovik, close to Avesta.
It ends on sunday the 7th in the morning so everyone can get home.

In between that there's many days paddling with the wood and canvas canoes, cooking on the campfire, good food (no fast food) and sleeping in a baker tent of natural canvas. Natural camping like it is done in the Friluftsliv-Hantverk-Ledarskap education at Sjovik Folkhogskola in Sweden.

I followed this year the first year there. Now I do the second year and have the opportunity to organise this trip.
Because the canoes and equipment can be used from the school at a small price I see this as a chance to let others experience doing a trip in Swedish nature with these beautiful canoes.

During the days we paddle the canoe. You'll learn some paddlestrokes, resceuing a turned over canoe, a little paddling in fast streaming water, etc.

In the evenings we cook over the fire (even lasagna!) , we bake bread for the next day, and we can practice making fire, carving spoons, etc. In the river is a lot of fish so you can have a go at that too.

I want to share what I know, skills etc, but I'm only 23 years old so it would be nice if we all share skills together (kind of like the bushcraftweekends). I'm not an expert.

The total price is 200 euro for the trip, food, canoes, equipment (tent, cooking equipment, first aid,..), and taking care of the canoes after the trip inclusive.

All you need is:
-Sleeping bag
-Compass
-Knife
-Hygiene: toilet paper, soap, towel, personal first aid
-Rainclothes
-If you have it you can bring an axe or saw
-Drinking cup, eating bowl, spoon
-Drybag (or garbage bag)
-Sitting pad to have your knees on in the canoe could be useful
-Firesteel, matches, lighter, etc

It's possible to get cheaply to Sweden with Ryanair, Sterling.dk, eurolines, etc.

Please send me a PM if you are interested or have any questions.

Look at this topic to see a picture of the kind of canoes whe'll paddle.

Thanks for reading,
Gunnar

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hej big_swede, would be nice if you can join, if you have any questions please ask.

Currently we are four people, I would like two more to join so we are six in total.

greetings,
gunnix

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi there, it's this year in two weeks. There's already a nice group but there's place for more. I will try and see if there is a possibility to organise a canoetrip like this next year, but I might have to build some more canoes myself and do the trip with my own as I don't think I can rent the canoes next year from the school. But we'll see. There might be an opportunity to organise a canoetrip in April next year, if there's any interest for that I will do my best to find out if it's possible. The water is still cold then, but April is very nice as there are no mosquitos yet and the weather can already be quite warm. This April there was sun all month with temperatures above 20, sometimes nearing 30. But it can also still snow in April ;)

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
I was planning to do a canoetrip myself this september, but because of some problems I can't do it then. So I will do it in May/June next year. But there's the small chance that I can come with this or next trip.
Anyway, thanks for organizing it. It looks well thought over, and cheap!!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Oh man, Im tempted to quit my job and come along! I doubt i can go this year but will you be running any other trips like this?

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
hehe, sure I will do other trips. The question is only when and who will join? :)

I will plan for next summer and hopefully let you know when it's possible in the next few months!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
hehe, sure I will do other trips. The question is only when and who will join? :)

I will plan for next summer and hopefully let you know when it's possible in the next few months!

Had I known earlier in the year I probably would have been able to come, as booking time of work saving money and planning can all take a whike, but yes, next summer Id love to. *cough*try to arrange a trip when the colleges are out*cough* :)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
We're leaving tomorrow for the trip. Just came back yesterday from another canoe trip where all the first year students were taught the basics in canoeing and camp life. Hopefully I'll get some pictures and a report up on bcuk after this trip.
In some weeks I should be able to tell wether or not and when there will be a canoetrip like this one next year, open for bcuk members.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE