Canoe plans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Nope never built one. I have built a Selway fisher prospector. Which is a stitch and glue/ tortured plywood version of the prospector.

The Prospector is a real classic boat. Its still reputed to be the best all-around boat ever built. I believe the Chestnut prospector is a 1909 design. Bill Mason paddled a canvas version, and every manufacturer offers their take on it, in every concievable material.

A friend who is also a boat designer reckons he has got the build time down to about 120 hours. He is a pro and has built tens of boats in cedar strip to take molds off for modern plastic boats. - Don't underestimate the time involved to build one.

The ones pictured look fantastic ! I'm sure it would be a real joy to paddle and a beautiful craft to behold.
Go for it !

Cheers
Rich

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You might want to give JoJo a pm, he's a member here and he builds canoes. He may not be familiar with the specific design but I'm sure he'd be able to give it the once over for you.

Thanks for the useful info guys. I'll have a look round at other plans before spending any money.

By the way....Snufkin, I like your NZ photo in the gallery. Did you have a good trip?

I spent a month down there earlier this year and we're heading down there for good early next year. Can't wait! That's actually where I intend to make and use the canoe.

Cheers,

J :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hi Jamie. PM sent. As far as strippers are concerned, the only time I'll build another one is if I get paid well for it :) :D !!! A well made one can be absolutely beautiful, but very time consumming to build.
I would rather build a ply one nowadays and spend more time on the water than in the building shed. The other canoes I love are canvas skin-on-frame. I have buiilt a couple of them and they are just lovely in my eye, very light, responsive, easy to build and most importantly cheap to make!!I like them...
A stripper is beautiful and light but takes a lots of effort and can be quite expensive.
www.Selway-fisher.com have some good plans for ply and strip plank, which are reasonably priced, I quite like the Wren. They have a couple of Adirondack, I have just noticed....hum interesting :rolleyes:
If anyone wants to see a couple of my canoes, including a stripper, have a look at a friend's website: www.birchcanoes.com, bespoke canoes and signs page, I think. And i am not selling anything through his website! :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jamie18thmo said:
Thanks for the useful info guys. I'll have a look round at other plans before spending any money.

By the way....Snufkin, I like your NZ photo in the gallery. Did you have a good trip?

I spent a month down there earlier this year and we're heading down there for good early next year. Can't wait! That's actually where I intend to make and use the canoe.

Cheers,

J :)
It's a fantastic country, I'm envious of you. I'm thinking of heading that way one day myself but it's a really huge commitment.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
thanks Snufkin. I had build the strip/veneer canoe using an interpretation of a tiny set of plans from a book called The Bark canoes and skin boats of North america. It was a hunting canoe and I enjoyed building it and using it but would not do it again like that. too much work.. I still have a Skin on Frame kayaks I built following a traditional inuit design, its a bit small for me though as I built it for my daughter who has now lost interest! I would love to live in New Zealand, unfortunatly, I think I may well be deemed too old by the authorities :( !!. May be when I am "retired" and the kids have their own lives. There or the Yukon Territories. :D. If you think to long about it, you end up doing nothing! If you are single and not too many attachements, why not?

alf

Jun 19, 2007
belper
Hi J, I know it's while since you posted your question, but I built a similar canoe using 2 books - Canoecraft: An Illustrated Guide to Fine Woodstrip Construction by Ted Moores and Building a Strip Canoe by Gil Gilpatrick. They sell plans from Canoecraft but they do give enough info for you to draw them out yourself. My blog, http://doggy-paddle.blogspot.com/, shows my effort at various stages. You shouldn't have any real problems if you can handle woodwork tools and have a practise with the fibreglass (if you haven't used it before). Be glad to help if I can, assuming that you haven't already built your boat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE