Canadian Rocky Mountain Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
Hello, my name is Peter Joyes. I am 19 years old and towards the ends of my studies, being a Territorial Army Infantry soldier and a scout for my childhood years I have a love of the outdoors, and I want to go backpacking across the rockies.

In my early teens I began to watch Ray Mears and travel documentaries and became facinated with 'Wilderness' areas. The Canadian Rockies absoutly amazed me and I have rocky mountain posters, desktop backgrounds a bookshelf full of survival/bushcraft/wilderness expeditions/how to guides and first hand experiences books.

Unfourtunatly I doubt my skills as a leader to to lead a small group (4 people) across the rockies in an expedition style adventure, as I have learned that too many people walk into the wilderness ill-prepared and find that nature, while beatiful is extremly dangerous and doesn't forgive mistakes.

This post is quite a shot in the dark really, but what I'm looking for is an experienced outdoorsman, not a survival instuctor or a guide but someone who has a good experience of outdoor-living over a long period of time. Someone who is also extremly intrested in the region of the Canadian Rockies and is seriously intrested in taking a trip in the next couple of years. Someone who is willing to take a novice and show them the ways, Im not looking for course style or lessons, just someone who can pass down their knowledge.

Bascially Im looking for an experience outdoorsman who is willing to let me tag along on a backpacking trip through the rockies. I have a good level of fitness and intelligence, I have good camping experience and travel, I am a very strong swimmer, my navigational knowledge is all map and compass, I have never used a G.P.S but would like to learn.

Thankyou.

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
A good source of information might be Old Jimbo, he's from out west, but I can't remember if it's the Rockies or more Coastal. I seem to remember he's written stuff about both. I don't know about the trip, but there is lots of information on his page.
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/

And there's lots of information on here, some written by Old Jimbo, and most of it is more North American than here on BCUK.
http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?page=sommaire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE