Calling all Bell Tent Owners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Some much needed advice from former lightweight campers! We are a family of 4 with a dog and all the attached junk that comes with our outdoor interests.

We are planning to get our mits on a Bell Tent and are unsure as to whether or not we should go for a 4 or 5 metre tent.

We plan to install a wood burner at some stage too.

Any ideas from you owners? Much appreciated.......hc

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I have the 4mtr soulpad with a burner fitted, normally for just the two of us but it has slept 5 with kit at a squeeze. I would suggest getting the 5mtr but it depends on the burner, its suprising how much space it takes up. Also plan well where you'll fit the burner as a mate who had one decided after a weeks camping he had put his on the wrong side.

As your in the area pop down to the wilderness gathering in August there is always plenty there to have a look round and get some ideas.

Hope this helps.
Ben

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
We are a family of four and have a dog , so we went for the five metre version just because if the weather turns nasty then theres nothing worse than feeling cramped with no room to dump wet coats and wet dogs or worse not having enough of an exclusiion zone around the stove while cooking food. Youll all have much more enjoyable times under canvas in the larger tent !

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Without doubt the five metre; while this sounds a lot you need to remember the bell tents like tipi tents loose usable space because of the sloping walls.

All very useful replies. Thank you. Out of interest: What groundsheet arrangement did you all go for? I like the idea of raising the walls to get some breeze in hot weather. SoulPad do one with a zipper arrangement and another with a mudflap system and Bell Tent UK do one with the mud flap style ground sheet. Any pointers?

How would my choice of groundsheet system affect the positioning of the wood burner?

Cheers again.......hc

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I have the built in groundsheet in mine, there are pros and cons. When its hot and sunny I really wish I had gone for the one with the lift up sides but when its wet and muddy it keeps it all out. We tend to use the tent more through the winter so that was my main reason for getting the fixed groundsheet. As for the burner I dont think it makes any difference but not 100% sure.

Cheers
Ben

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Late to this thread, sorry.
I have a 5m tipi which is primarily a family tent - I don't know if the bell tent will have a similar (central) pole arrangement but it means theres only just room for a 6 foot tall person to sleep on the radius if you allow space for the stove in the centre! we're five with kit but I've had 9 sleeping in there.
I don't use the provided groundsheet which was sized exactly to fit - I bought a 7 x 9 meter builders tarp and cut 2m off one end and trimmed the corners leaving an octagonal shape about 7m square; this has a "T" cut into the centre so you can fold back the edges to give a bare earth path up to and around the stove. It gives plenty of scope for bundling it around the walls to keep draughts and drips out.
groundsheet.jpg

The shape has to be used a little differently from bedroomed dome tents in that you just move all your bedding out to the edges for daytime use where it becomes the comfort cushions for lazing about - also uses the space that is "under the eaves" and hence restricted headroom.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I have mine going through the roof, the main reasons for this is because thats how it came and the flue is also cheaper with out the bends/extra pieces. The down side to this is that the burner has to be fitted to make it water tight unless I wanted to remove the cowl and fit a blanking plate.

What you can do is have it coming out the wall where the vent is, this enables you to simply close the vent when the burner is not fitted. The down side to this is that the flue is low out side the tent and could be a problem with kids/dog burning themselves for example.

Regards
Ben

Jul 18, 2010
West Sussex
Hi HeltorChasca

Perhaps you've already gone ahead and bought your tent now, if so I hope you're enjoying it.
I've got a 4m one and although I think that's big enough for a family of 4 (plus dog) I think the problem is where to put all the stuff that comes with a family of 4! Therefore, a 5m one would probably be the choice for you, IMHO.
They are not so much bigger, and as it's a fair amount to pay out then you don't want to go too small to start with.
I also have a stove in mine and put the flue through the side wall which works fine and because it's within the boundaries of the guy ropes does cut down on some of the risks with kids getting injured by the hot flue.
I'd definitley recommend a stove, it certainly keeps the damp away, though I'd put in a little further 'into' the tent than closer to the door as some pics on the web suggest.
I'm currently living in my tent over the summer and am loving every minute of it. You can see some pics and read my review of the tent at:
http://livinginthewoods.co.uk/
and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
All the best,
Rich

Many thanks Ben & Rich.

Some good ideas thanks. Gulp - Will be making a decision on the stove later this week. Rich I checked out your blogg. Just the type of thing I need to do to slow my ever-jostling and thought generating mind. A friend of mine went to an Eckhart Tolle session in the States. Books are great too I believe. Good on you for "being" in the woods.

We've decided to go for a 5m tent with the option to roll up the sides using the cheaper seperate ground sheet system. I love the idea of the zip system as far as erection/take down speed goes, but the price is a slight limiting factor as is my experience with tent zips in sandy regions!

It may be a purchase with either Bell Tent UK or Soul Pad. Unfortunately both companies don't return my answer messages or reply to emails! Cripes - I wonder if they are the same with delivery? Anyone know anything about either company's reliablility, quality and customer service?

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
You might want to ask what weight the canvas is because I've seen some cheap Bell tents which you could poke a finger through!

I've had mine for about 5 years now, a 4 metre UK made tent (sorry I can't remember the maker) and it has a separate groundsheet which works very well at keeping water out. I fitted a Windy Smithy Wendy burner (top stove.. I should be on commission!) which sits near the door with the chimney going out vertically through a silicon gasket. It sits on top of a chunky plywood base covered with steel plate which catches any hot embers. I've slept in the tent well over a hundred nights in all weathers and the tent is still completely waterproof despite my not reproofing it once. The only thing I don't like is that the smoke does condense overnight when the burner is shut right down and the resulting tar water has run down the side of the canvas leaving a stain, not the end of the world but annoying nonetheless. Someone should make a Bell Tent with a lifting crown to allow the hot air out, they can get very hot in the sun even with the sides rolled up. Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
And to play devils advocate again....all of these posts just remind me of why we got rid of ours:D...

Too hot...too cold, too damp, never enough room with a wet dog!
not enough room for three kids' mess when the weather's cr*p and don't get me started on the problems of a wood burner. LOL

Think long and hard...it's not all 'cool camping' :nono:

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority HC but at least I'm honest! :angel:

Bah...Humbug

Sack

Jul 18, 2010
West Sussex
Hello again HeltorChasca

Belltent.co.uk were at the Larmar Tree festival last week/weekend so that may be why they weren't returning your calls. But obviously I can't speak for them and certainly aren't defending them if they were being 'rubbish'. I was happy with the service I got from belltent, though I did notice when I called them in half-term it was a little harder to get hold of them.
The delivery was fine, shipped when they said it would.
Hope that helps, can't write more as it's late and I'm tired...
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE