Caledonian Canal trip Sept 09 (Anyone interested?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just judging interest in anyone who might like to paddle the Caledonian Canal later this year.
I did it a couple of years ago and want to do it again this year and I know several of you have expressed an interest too.

The plan is to start at Fort William and finish in either Inverness or across the firth in Fortrose if the going is good. Hopefully it should take 5 days and will be wild camping all the way.

Dates are to be decided and up for debate if you are interested, the only prerequisite is you have a canoe (that you are competent with) and are prepared to muck in.

I've posted this on SOTP and so far there are four canoes potentially up for the trip. If there are more than six we will either have to split into two groups or talk to the waterways people about a large group.

Let me know if you are interested .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
John
When I get an idea who is interested it might be worth while looking at combining forces and perhaps lift sharing. I'm sure you are not the only one.

Warthog (SOTP) has offered to share the trip with me from Yorkshire John if that`s any good to you. He`s got a 4x4 and I`ve seen piccies of his motor with 4 canoes strapped on so there should be room for a small one :D

Might be worth giving him a shout as it`s still a good 8 - 9 hours drive from here.

Just a thought

I've been thinking about doing the canal with my younger brother (not sure if we'd do it in 1 or 2 canoes) but definitely camping all the way.

Don't suppose you know if it's likely to be a lot harder going the opposite way do you? I know it's usually done west to east but wondering how much of a prevailing wind there tends to be.

Need to make sure it's outside midgie season too I just couldn't be bothered with being eaten alive all the way.

He'll be off to university by September so not gonna be with the group - but if I enjoy it enough I might be tempted to tag along for a second go at it.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Ok folks, this appears to be generating lots of interest over on SOTP so I would ask that you only say yes if you are definitely interested and have a canoe or can arrange to paddle with someone who has. It's still six months away and although enthusiasm is high I expect people to drop out nearer the time.

The list so far including SOTP members:

Interested
Bootstrap Bob +1 - tandem
warthog - solo
Shewie - solo
speed demon 2 - solo
RickT + 1 - tandem
cragger -solo
Bandy - solo
Perthshire Wood Canvas - solo

Possible interest
Lloyd
Chainsaw
John Fenna
Magikelly
alpha_centaur (BCUK)
bigshot (BCUK)
nonsuch (BCUK)

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
My names down for this on sotp but if anyone here doesnt have a canoe I have a spare seat in mine. also I'm traveling up from Berkshire so if anyone wants to share travel let me know.

Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE