Cairngorms (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I've just got back from 3 days walking in the Larig Ghru, we were hoping to get up Devils point and Cairn Toul but my Dad fell on ice and knackered his hip. It was stunning though, cold at night (about -7) and the ice froze solid in my Thermobak. Toasty in my Rab bag so 12 hours kip seemed the order.

When I got down I went stalking with Oakleaf - it was incredible, even though all we saw was a Roe Buck (out of season :( ), I'm now hooked and can't wait to have another go. I was glad not to have lost the knack with a rifle :D. A huge thank-you to a very very nice man.

Anyway, enough waffle, the pics:

My Dad and friend walking in:
January08008.jpg

Angels Peak with Brareach in cloud:
January08061.jpg

Dad feeling the cold at Corrour (newly opened, that day, dunny)
January08029.jpg

Larig Ghru:
lairigghru.jpg

Sunset, just up the valley from Derry Lodge:
January08072.jpg

Me, by the fire low down the valley (existing fire place)
Mebyfire.jpg

Red Squirrells Oakleafs front door:
January08079.jpg

One of the walls inside an abandoned Farmhouse whilst stalking:
January08098.jpg

Last stalk, before home and dinner, nearly got a doe near here, but she heard us crunching the frost that had settled:
January08097.jpg

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great pics and it looks as if you had fab weather.
I was at Currour bothy recently and the toilet was still locked, so that it could be opened officially! Seemed a bit pointless really when the object of having it in the first place was to stop human waste issues:soapbox: .
Glad you had a good time and I hope your dad recovers well.;)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I think I passed you guys on saturday ? I was walking down towards the boggy bit before Derry Lodge, on my tod with a blue themal on, you guys had a tall chap with white t shirt and there was three of you ? About 4pm ish?

Nick

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
He's gone and a long way South, so no pressure to be anything other than truthfull...

Dougster is the perfect guest and welcome back anytime. Meeting thoroughly nice people makes the daily slog worth it.

Mainly for his dad -the targets are genuine. He's a cracking shot - of course only possible by virtue of the expertly set up rifle, perfectly pinned targets and I did sometimes make the tea. Seriously, makes taking someone out so much less fraught and saves me carrying the flippin rifle.

I was hoping to drop him in it with an amusing 'knife' story, but he'd only come back with a more amusing subsequent 'rifle' story; so agreed to call it one all!

At risk of blatant marketing - his work is wonderful. He is his own worst critic! I for one am going to milk him of all of his 'duff' output!

Welsh background was obvious - he's a handy guy to have around when you need to deal with sheep...

Thank you for being great company.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Great is an understatement - at the risk of starting a mutual appreciation society, Andy is a great, generous, funny and welcoming chap.

I had a ball and my first hands on experience with a sheep to boot, a high point for a Welshman with 'foreign' girls.

If anyone has a chance to go on one of Andy's courses, or buys some kit from him, you will find yourself dealing with a gent and no doubt coming away smiling.

Wiltshire does seem a bit crowded now though, on the hour and a half it took me to drive from Braemar to Andy's I saw about 8 cars.:D :D :D :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Nice one Dougster, planning a a solo trip along the LG myself this year, possibly april / may time, gonna get the sleeper up from London. May very well be hitting you up for advice....

dommy

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great photos Dougster, glad to hear you had a great time on your trip up here :)
My son and I spent a great weekend last year on one of the work parties renovating the Corrour bothy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ahh those shots bring back memories - frostbite climbing Angels Peak, the squits at corrour......good times, good times......
Looks like you had a great time and I am jelous!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE