Bushmoot 09 (No dogs allowed)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Just got my reply to my dogs allowed question for Bushmoot 09, Not pets allowed. Why is this? I have to young sons and I'm very aware about dog safety, but i do find it unsettling that very bush meeting i try to go to disallows pets. I can walk a high street at its peak hours with my dog and even let it run the beaches with kids playing, but i cant take my dog even if its on a lead during the workshops. It is a member of our family and is treated as such, Yet again my family suffers because of our heath and safety overkill that even reaches out to our bushcraft lifestyle. Does anyone else feel the same way or is it jusy me, do we have any Bushmeets that my family can go to. Or am i living wild with my Family alone at weekend and on leave while i try to teach my sons the value of living out side. :confused:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
They're not allowed for a number of reasons, when we first used the site they asked us not to allow dogs. Then there are the experiences of having dogs at the Moot (people decided they would just bring them and we've had them wander in) and it's become an issue for a number of reasons.

The thing is that it's a general rule not aimed at picking on people but it prevents issues that could cause grief at the event, I know a number of dog owners that aren't very responsible and it causes issues. It's not a case of H&S overkill it's a case of it suits the event not to have dogs there, if everyone was responsible and that could be guaranteed it might not be so clean cut, but they're not.

There's also a lot of people that are uncomfortable with Dogs around and as the event it for people they take precedence.

ask the question in the out and about forum and someone might point you in the right direction for meets that allow dogs.

I'll also move this to the BushMoot forum :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Just got my reply to my dogs allowed question for Bushmoot 09, Not pets allowed. Why is this? I have to young sons and I'm very aware about dog safety, but i do find it unsettling that very bush meeting i try to go to disallows pets. I can walk a high street at its peak hours with my dog and even let it run the beaches with kids playing, but i cant take my dog even if its on a lead during the workshops. It is a member of our family and is treated as such, Yet again my family suffers because of our heath and safety overkill that even reaches out to our bushcraft lifestyle. Does anyone else feel the same way or is it jusy me, do we have any Bushmeets that my family can go to. Or am i living wild with my Family alone at weekend and on leave while i try to teach my sons the value of living out side. :confused:

If I may,
this has been a rule of the site since the first gathering there, it is equally imposed by the landowners as by BCUK.
A few years ago a group ignored the rule and their family pooch habitually deposited its doings between my families tent and my daughters play hammock. While the owners were happy to clear up after their charge, it fell to me report the incident to them on at least three occasions, not something I ever hope gets repeated.
I'm also a dog owner and agree that he gets treated as an equal whenever the situation allows, but there are times when his company is neither allowed, nor is acceptable.
It is a rule for the benefit of all users of the site and is not meant to prejudice against you as an individual.

Thank you for your understanding in the matter.

Ogri the trog

OOps, sorry boss cross post.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Is it H&S overkill - or that not everyone enjoys the company of dogs, so many of which are a royal pain in the butt!
I am not saying yours is poorly controlled, but I have been on meets that were spoilt by dogs running crazy, trashing bivvis, barking etc....
I have been on others where dogs have been and been great companions...
One poorly controlled dog can upset a lot of people and I would put money on at least one dog going loopy if there were a lot of dogs on site...
Surely it is so that the majority can enjoy the Moot that dogs are not welcome...
I too used to be a dog owner (he died a while back and cannot face replacing him) so it is not that I do not like dogs.
Just thoughts on the matter - no disrespect to anyone intended:)
oops - posted before I saw the others...

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Well it looks like theres no place for us in the inn tonight!!!!!! off to the woods i go with my tail between my legs. Whats going to happen when the Kids shout, scream and trip over bivi pegs.... are they next. cant help feeling slightly pi**ed about it, no disrespect to you all.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As mentioned elsewhere :rolleyes: - sometimes we have rules put upon us and they, generally, are there for good reason - scouting sites don't tend to allow dogs on site - obvious exceptions excluded from exclusion :cool: ; mind you some won't allow Meets either :D . By the way - I like dogs and I like having dogs around.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Wolf_diver

I was a bit shocked last year too; our lab comes just about everywhere with us and I was a bit hacked at having to pay kennelling fees so that I could attend. However...

The no dogs rule just works. We were so busy during the moot attending workshops etc that we simply wouldn't have had time to spend with the dog. I can't quite explain why it makes a difference not having them there but it does. One less thing to focus on, I guess.

And of course, I also consider it a privilidge rather than a right to attend and this year I have no such feelings about kennelling the dog in order to attend. I'd do the same even if the rules were changed so that I could focus fully on what was going on.

Don't let it put you off; it is too good to miss.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE