bushcraftmagazine.com???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hamish
I sent a knife to them for a review in issue 35 of the magazine (Nov/Dec 2011). I contacted them to see if one of my knives could be included in their handmade knives review. (I was not contacted by them). I was told that I would not get the knife back, but it would be kept in their office for reference & photo shoots.
I thought it was worthwhile as the magazine apparently has a circulation of around 50,000. I have to be honest I think it was worth it, as I sold at least 6 knives directly because of the review, and another 15+ because one of the original 6 had friends who also wanted handmade knives (some of his friends have more than one). I know I was extremely lucky with this individual, but that was the 'lucky break' I was hoping for.
You have already sent the pouch off, I think as you have already said it is worth a punt, which is what I did. It's your time + materials, but could lead to more. I hope you are successful.
Eifion

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thanks youv given me a little faith there that its not a scam and your right its worth the punt if it helps with publicity

Hamish
I sent a knife to them for a review in issue 35 of the magazine (Nov/Dec 2011). I contacted them to see if one of my knives could be included in their handmade knives review. (I was not contacted by them). I was told that I would not get the knife back, but it would be kept in their office for reference & photo shoots.
I thought it was worthwhile as the magazine apparently has a circulation of around 50,000. I have to be honest I think it was worth it, as I sold at least 6 knives directly because of the review, and another 15+ because one of the original 6 had friends who also wanted handmade knives (some of his friends have more than one). I know I was extremely lucky with this individual, but that was the 'lucky break' I was hoping for.
You have already sent the pouch off, I think as you have already said it is worth a punt, which is what I did. It's your time + materials, but could lead to more. I hope you are successful.
Eifion

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Just beacause they are a real magazine doesn't make it right. Too keep Perrari's knife was I think very unfair. Maybe a large manufacturer wouldn't want a used Item back but a handmade bushcraft knife it worth a fair bit, well worth touching up and reselling. How many knives did they test in that issue? Anybody got the mag; you could see how much they made. I have sent recently sent quite a few blades for testing at a magazine, never any question that I would get them back.
I agree that when an item is of lower value there is a point when it isn't worth sending back, the issues I have seen often sell off barely used kit, is that what happens to the test items or is it coincidence? Genuine question I really don't know.

Last edited:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Nic
There were 5 knives in the review. So I suppose they did make a bit. At the time it was either a case of donate a knife or dont get a review.(I contacted them after seeing in the previous issue that there was going to be a handmade knife review in the next issue). Luckily for me the review was good. I scored the same points as Ben Orford, but he got the 'best in test'. (he is involved with the magazine though). I was disappointed not to get the knife back because as you said it is worth a bit, but they did state this in the beginning, so personally I cant complain.

Hamish
What was your item that you sent ? I received the current issue today, and have flicked through it twice but cannot find any leatherwork on review.

Just beacause they are a real magazine doesn't make it right. Too keep Perrari's knife was I think very unfair. Maybe a large manufacturer wouldn't want a used Item back but a handmade bushcraft knife it worth a fair bit, well worth touching up and reselling. How many knives did they test in that issue? Anybody got the mag; you could see how much they made. I have sent recently sent quite a few blades for testing at a magazine, never any question that I would get them back.
I agree that when an item is of lower value there is a point when it isn't worth sending back, the issues I have seen often sell off barely used kit, is that what happens to the test items or is it coincidence? Genuine question I really don't know.

Dreadhead

its a small pouch for a camera or phone. i made it ages ago and its really not up to scratch with my work these days which is a shame having to showcase older work, after all i still consider myself a beginner! could someone maybe take a photo of the section in the mag and send it to me? im dead curious and i have a feeling they wont bother sending me a copy the emails were pretty faceless

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If they do not even give you a free copy of the mag in return for the pouch then they are tighter than tight thing that has been tightened!

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Good way of getting free gear to be honest. 2 or 3 years ago a bushcraft magazine approached a retailer I know about doing reviews on some open canoes, 2 or 3 of them IIRC. Guess what, they wanted to keep them afterwards! At a grand a boat or thereabouts, you can guess what the not so polite reply was.

Dreadhead

cheeky gits Dogoak! im not too fussed about the pouch just a shame they wanted a pouch im really not proud of instead of one of my sporrans. but here it is anyway :)
cimg2060k.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE