Burning oil and water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
This is something i first read about in The sas survival handbook by john wiseman.

It says burning a mix of oil and water will make one of the hottest fires. think he might be suggesting for use as an incinerator.

the instructions are to put oil and water in seperate cans, pierce a hole in the bottom of each and let them drip down a trough (in a mix of 2-3 drops water to 1 drop of oil) onto a heated metal plate.
You then light this mixture.

Has anyone tried this??

Also a friends grandad was an army field cook in WW2 and he said they had a cooker that worked in this way only using diesel and water. Anyone heard of that?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yep, this was certainly used in heaters at one time so can't see why it would not have been used in a stove. I remember a garage near Capel Curig many years ago using similar to heat the workshop.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I haven't done it but I do know that the oil and water land on a steel burner plate with a heat source under it to get everything burning first. You can't just light the oil/water mixture. I guess it's like hot oil in a frying pan throw in a few drops of water and watch the fireball!

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Having done fire fighting training when I was in the RN I can testify if you put water on an oil fire what you have is a very hot inferno to try to deal with so if it was done in a controlled situation I can understand the science behind it. the water boiling through the hot oil increases the surface area of the oil which turns to vapour

Skelleftea78

Sep 22, 2016
Sweden
Having done fire fighting training when I was in the RN I can testify if you put water on an oil fire what you have is a very hot inferno to try to deal with so if it was done in a controlled situation I can understand the science behind it. the water boiling through the hot oil increases the surface area of the oil which turns to vapour

Like this [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5egDJxJm0[/video]

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yup. The water flashes into steam which is a gas. That expanding hot gas blows the oil into fuel vapor droplets. WHAM!
Fighting airport fuel fires is done with foam, partly to smother the fire and partly to escape the fuel vapor flash, had water been used.

Was a demo done on Mythbusters some time ago.
Pot of SUPER-HOT cooking oil on the stove, water added.
Incinerated everything in the mock-up kitchen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE