Buddleia uses?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I believe - although not practically because I have had no success so far! - it makes a great hand drill.

[edit] some expert advice!:

Buddleia - has a smaller hollow, and generally a more slender stem. I take stems 1-2 or more years old, scrape off the bark and dry it. I generally get a stick where the thicker end is 1 to 1.5cm diam and the other end 6-9mm diam. The thicker end I find ideal to drill with. With hand drilling it generally forms a fairly flat bottomed depression.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Should I be lookinf for the long straight shoots that one would use in the same way from elder?

Phil.
That's the ones.

Dry it too quick and it can crack lengthways. It is indeed a good hand drill, although it fails in the damper months I find more than elder.

Also young shoot's bark quite good for cordage.

According to "Plants for a future" website you can make a range of dyes from it.

I made a sight for judging range from it as it is a nice fine textured and sturdy wood for slim lengths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE