Brown Crow ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The homba

Oct 7, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi all have had this visitor to the garden for a while and wondered if anyone could positively id it ? Comes in with the other crows . The "experts" my brother works with say it could be a house crow escaped from the zoo but are not sure ( need to get better pics ) i had a google and came up with caramel crow but they are rarer than albinos .

Cheers Iain

Picture008.jpg

Picture006.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My first thought was immature Hooded crow (Corvus cornix), you are on the border of hoodie/carrion crow country but the beak is too small. Beak looks more like immature jackdaw. What are "the other crows" it comes in with? Jackdaws or carrion crows?

The homba

Oct 7, 2006
Edinburgh
Well he returned this morning and i got some more photos think he is a jackdaw. Angus Og thanks for the link the guy Chris that posted my pic on there is the guy my brother works with ringing the shearwaters .
DSC_01101600x1200.jpg

DSC_01171600x1200.jpg

cheers Iain

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Glad to see the end of that story and yes he does look much more Jackdaw like in those photos. Immature Jackdaws often leave the nest before the tails feathers are fully grown and the way he has his full tail wide spread for balance in the first photo does not look typical jackdaw. Beaks are always good for identification though, not as variable as colour and other features.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE