bow string

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

stonepaws

Right, made the hearth (ash) made the drill (ash) got smoke eventually, quite difficult but persevered, then the cord on the bow snapped (I was using sash cord) what commercial cord should i use instead? Ta..

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Most people use paracord, because it tends to be the toughest thing that they carry in quantity. Boot laces can be used in an emergency. Your sash cord, if I am visualising the right stuff, should have been plenty strong enough.

It is just possible that technique plays a part in how fast the cord wears. I think I would get some paracord, or more sash cord if that is what you carry, then practicing with that. As a fire lighting method this is something that one should be able to improvise, if you need to carry a special cord you might as well carry a fero rod, or lighter.

Mr Mears sings the praises of a rawhide cord as being better even than the pull cord for starting petrol motors. I tried making a rawhide cord, but got the technique wrong, it broke :rolleyes: and I haven't had any more rawhide to play with, :(

Ash might not be the easiest thing to start with. I haven't tried it, but would think that it would be harder work than sycamore, hazel, elder, birch, ivy or cedar, and hence harder on cordage.

S

stonepaws

I think you're definitely right about technique having a part to play in how quickly I was getting through my wife's boot laces and then the sash cord. I wonder what I am doing wrong? I am a total beginner powered by enthusiasm alone...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The crannog (charity, permanently in need of funds) uses polypropylene rope. It's cheap, it wears out quickly but it works well.
Try the pound stores 20M lengths; they did have a very dark green that wasn't quite so dayglo.
When you get better at it I can give you the address for, or organise lengths of four ply hemp cord for bowstrings. I can get flax but you'd need to ply it up.

Cheers,
Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had not heard that as a reason for taking the wife hiking...mobile supply of spare bootlaces :D

It could be that the cord is slipping on the spindle/drill, or maybe that the way you have the drill twisted into the cord, combined with your natural drilling action, makes the cord wear against itself as it goes around the drill?

I don't suppose you are near enough to attend the meet up in a couple weeks? I am sure that Dave Goodworth will be roped into doing his bow drill demo. He is good at it, so is cursed with doing demos whereever he goes :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE