Blog feedback Please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some good content there John - but, to me, it reads to much as an advert with repeated name checks for "Wildwood Bushcraft" "on our courses" etc. If you are writing an advert for courses, then of course that would be fine, but the readers of your blog will know whose blog it is and too much advertising puts them off (well, me at least).

In effect what I am saying is keep the advertising to the commercial side of the site and use the blog more subtly to keep people coming back but without it seeming like an advert.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Some good content there John - but, to me, it reads to much as an advert with repeated name checks for "Wildwood Bushcraft" "on our courses" etc. If you are writing an advert for courses, then of course that would be fine, but the readers of your blog will know whose blog it is and too much advertising puts them off (well, me at least).

In effect what I am saying is keep the advertising to the commercial side of the site and use the blog more subtly to keep people coming back but without it seeming like an advert.

Thanks Red, take your point, its a work in progress but I don't want it to come across like that. Cheers.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Red, take your point, its a work in progress but I don't want it to come across like that. Cheers.

Didn't mean the feedback to be rude and wondered if I should post it but thought "well he did ask" :) The content is all there and top notch - its just about making the "tone" as appealing as possible.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
I think it's a good well laid out and visually appealing site. Should get better as more content is on there. The friction fire lighting section does read like an advert for the course, was kind of expecting instructions/tips in this bit, but the other articles feel less advert like.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I read through it all earlier John (before you asked !) and found it very interesting :) Only suggestion from me would be to double check for a few typo's/missing words that caught my eye, mainly I think in the last blog about your latest trip. That's not meant to be picky :) The content and general feel I think is good.

Roughly whereabouts in Hampshire do you do courses ?

Cheers, Paul

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
I read through it all earlier John (before you asked !) and found it very interesting :) Only suggestion from me would be to double check for a few typo's/missing words that caught my eye, mainly I think in the last blog about your latest trip. That's not meant to be picky :) The content and general feel I think is good.

Roughly whereabouts in Hampshire do you do courses ?

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

They are run near Marwell zoo and near Blandford dorset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Marwell's only a half hour from me and Blandford and hour and half :) Off to look at the courses again !

Cheers, Paul

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Understood that it's a work in progress, and looks like a good start. It reads enthusiastically which I like. Please don't think I'm trying to knock what you've done with the comments below, you did ask. These are just a few things I noticed before reading the others' comments here.

Agreed with Hugh about the advertising. It put me off a bit too.

Agreed with Paul about the proof reading. There are too many grammatical errors, a couple of images missing I think (from http://www.wildwaybushcraft.co.uk/first-trip-of-the-year/) and a five megabyte image (at the head of http://www.wildwaybushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft-fire/) is way too big.

There seems to have a big emphasis on fire, but the first thing I want to be sure of is my water supply which doesn't seem to be much mentioned.

On the subject of fire, nowhere in the blog that I have seen do you mention heat reflection, and its importance in making and using a fire. You say that you might not have a lighter handy so its good to know how to use a bow drill -- but where did that cord come from?
Of course it came from preparation, which again isn't much mentioned.

On bannock bread, after all that talk about foraging you ask me for baking powder??? No, seriously, I'd suggest a more basic recipe to, er, prove it can be done. :)

You've touched on it in your first trip of the year, but I'd suggest that you do something specifically about shelter.

Overall I'd suggest planning more structure to the blog. When you've filled it out it could be a great resource.

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Right on my doorstep!! Do you run all your course from there? And do you have an age limit on kids?

I also had read through them before you asked and found them very interesting. I'll make sure I bookmark it for future reads.

No some of our courses are held in a 100 acre wood near Blandford, its a great wood. We don't have an age limit but all under 17's must be accompanied with an adult.

Cheers

John

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Understood that it's a work in progress, and looks like a good start. It reads enthusiastically which I like. Please don't think I'm trying to knock what you've done with the comments below, you did ask. These are just a few things I noticed before reading the others' comments here.

Agreed with Hugh about the advertising. It put me off a bit too.

Agreed with Paul about the proof reading. There are too many grammatical errors, a couple of images missing I think (from http://www.wildwaybushcraft.co.uk/first-trip-of-the-year/) and a five megabyte image (at the head of http://www.wildwaybushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft-fire/) is way too big.

There seems to have a big emphasis on fire, but the first thing I want to be sure of is my water supply which doesn't seem to be much mentioned.

On the subject of fire, nowhere in the blog that I have seen do you mention heat reflection, and its importance in making and using a fire. You say that you might not have a lighter handy so its good to know how to use a bow drill -- but where did that cord come from?
Of course it came from preparation, which again isn't much mentioned.

On bannock bread, after all that talk about foraging you ask me for baking powder??? No, seriously, I'd suggest a more basic recipe to, er, prove it can be done. :)

You've touched on it in your first trip of the year, but I'd suggest that you do something specifically about shelter.

Overall I'd suggest planning more structure to the blog. When you've filled it out it could be a great resource.

Thanks for the comments pal, just sorting the missing pics and the errors now! good spot. As for structure, its something I am working on with the blog.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE