Bird Guide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

I am not much of a birder, and I do find it difficult to identify them (except for the obvious ones) but most fall into the category, for me anyhow, as LBJ's (little brown jobs!)

The main book that I use though, is the Collins Bird Guide which I find very useful and, more importantly relatively easy to use.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Jamie,

are you saying you don't know much about birds?...........

Anyway, if you see more than two Crows in a field, it means that they are Rooks!

Cheers.

Jack.

J

JeremyH

The Collins is good and seems to be the new bible for birders - be careful though, guides are only what they say they are and can be misleading. The images are usually from 'dead skins' so are the idealised image. The Collins is big to use in the field so I advise my students/clients to take a note book and pencil, jot and draw what you see, what the bird is doing, where it is etc and then look up later. This will als help with your general fieldcraft.
If you need a lightweight and proper pocket sized field guide then I suggest the new 'Birdwatchers Pocket Guide@ Peter Hayman - Pub. Mitchel Beazley. It comes at £9.99 and well worth every penny. If you find it difficult to get hold of I sell them - Post free.
All the best

Jeremy
www.islaybirding.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE