Birch Bark??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Following on from watching the extras on Ray's latest DVD I now have a 13 year old desperate to make some containers (I can already see the pva glue everywhere, but what the heck!).

Does anyone know of a commercial source for decent quality birch bark?
I've got a small piece obtained while on my fundamental course last year, but I quess I'm going to need a fair sized lump now! I don't recall seeing any growing in the UK that would be anything like thick enough.

Cheers,

Dave

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
You think you have got a mess coming up? After watching the DVD my 5 year old wants to make containers from birch bark :rolleyes: (well truth be known she wants to make a canoe but I convinced her to start small!)
Anyhow any hints where to get some bark for her would be welcome.
Cheers
David

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Someone suggested lino as a cheap alternative to decent birch bark.... :confused:
Not really bushcrafty I know but at least the techniques could be learnt.

You'd be the only one on the river that's for sure !

Cheers

Mark

Joules

May 24, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Buckshot said:
Someone suggested lino as a cheap alternative to decent birch bark.... :confused:
Not really bushcrafty I know but at least the techniques could be learnt.

You'd be the only one on the river that's for sure !

Cheers

Mark

I love it, the thought of a lino canoe, talk about head turner... look really good wraped on a big rock, sort of exterior design, by a muppet...

Joules

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been playing around a lot with birch this year, and after being told innumerable times that our barks are too thin I got kinda disheartened....then my husband went for a walk and came home with sheets of the stuff :D I can't claim it's stunningly good but it's certainly thick and useable. The trees Gavin found the bark on were dead ones. The timber rots away and leaves the bark as a hollow tube. I've been making small baskets and tubes (for resin, etc.,) from it. Haven't got enough for a canoe though.....yet :rolleyes: himself is still walking :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I find quite a bit of usable bark for containers, I generally stick two sheets together with wood glue to improve the thickness and strength!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
It depends on the containers you want to make - I woudln't recommend British bark for watertight containers, but its certainly strong enough for woven baskets for dry materials.

At some point soon I'll be getting some time to go and harvest some bark and I'll put up a post about woven birch bark containers... if I find my digital camera again!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Why not try ash bark or willow? you can still plug the base with wood like the birchbark basket Ray made if you dont want the folded bottom design.
I've also used British birch bark for small items.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE