Bespoke Ventile Smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Razorstrop said:
Feeling a bit defensive for trying to help others out
Garry

Garry

I was in no way "having a dig" at your generous offer. I realise you are not making money from this and from personal experiance know how much work these type of things can be. For no financial benefit.

I was just curious about the benefits of the smock compared to the jacket. My querie about the smock should have in no way been taken as any sort of negative comment about the service you are offering.

Sorry for any offence you may have taken from my post.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Good link mate.
We'll see how they turn out :) , Of course i would have to email you my embarrasingly small chest size :D
Definately interested mate
:You_Rock_ .......both of you :)

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Magikelly,
no offense taken mate, its only right folk should ask any and all questions before even considering jumping into buying something that costs more then 50p, as for your jacket you did well at 60 quid I cant find anything close to that sort of cost.To be perfectly honest, its going to cost more in material then that to make one up from scratch, so if I came across as defensive it was not meant to be, lifes to short to get the huff over jackets lol or most other things for that matter! I also would be intrested to hear your comments in reply to my reply ( lol long winded) in the jacket vs smock debate

Bilko
thanks for the support mate, as magikelly mentioned its already turning into a bit of a labour of love lol, however am very very hopeful about the end result, it SHOULD be great.

wondering why next weekend seems so far away
Garry

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I spoke to SASS thius afternoon about getting a smock made in L34 ventile. They won't work in Ventile as it is a right git to work with and would involve adjusting the machines too much for an individual item, so they won't do it. Maybe for a bulk purchase, but it would have to be a few. So I asked about the material they use. They made some in ventile years ago, but won't really do it again. Instead, they use the military spec treated cotton. This is water resistant. Not 100% waterproof, but it does swell when wet, but initially the water just beads and runs off. My current DPM smock is the same stuff and it's quite impressive. The MOD rates it just under ventile for breathability, toughness and proofness. Therefore, after much debate I have opted for their fabric, and will order a smock in OG and matching Soldier 95 pattern trousers in the same material. All in for about £155. Not bad methinks. I'm awaiting a sample of the fabric in the post before confirming the order. I am also ordering the standard size Rhoesian belt puch in OG with clips which takes two '58 bottles. I am thinking it will be ideal to carry the ubiquitous Swedish Mess Kit Trangia set. The pouch has clips on it to either mount on a PLCE type belt, or a shoulder strap can be attached via more clips that are built in.

So to summarise, if you want a custom bespoke smock in ventile, then this one of Garrys is probably your only choice! And a nice one it looks too.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Razorstrop.. i think this is a blooomin brilliant idea.. i have a lowe alpine smock anorak which is a really good simple design but its bright red i have long wanted to make something of a better material and colour! how much do you think this will cost?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I too think it's a great idea and have been tring to get my own design going but it's not working out that much cheaper then a ready made.

Personally being that it would have to be shipped to Dublin I would pay about 120-150. Depending on the spec.

Two special feature I would like in a pullover smock (that is what we are talking about here) is the zip needs to be long so as too help with the eas of taking it off and on and second is that it is compatable with wearing a rucksack i.e. the pockets aren't covered by the hip belt etc..

If it were within this price range and the shipping was also reasonable I would be seriously interested.

James

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Just as a quick heads up. The project is not dead but ventile are going a bit slow. Worst thing is probably not going to have one to show off at the North meet, which is disappointing. However as soon as one is made up, I'll show it off on here and see you you all think.

A bit frustraited
Garry

pignuts

Jun 15, 2005
sounds good. i may be interested,as im looking at purchasing a ventile smock sometime soon.look forwad to seeing the photos when you got the first one made up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE