bbacklighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya guys

i have just baught the nikon d300 guide thats writton by a guy called jon sparks and who writes for nikon. In this book he talks about (in a none english or that can understand langauge) backlighting and refectors for making shadows or dark parts and obviously light parts. Sp can you please explain in english what back lighting is please

thanks drew

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
AFAIK Backlighting is lighting the subject from behind. For example when you get a model and the hair seems to have a rim of light to the edge. That has a backlight applied to it. Kind of a halo effect.

Reflectors are then used to reflect the light onto the frontof the subject to allow the features to be seem.

That is it being put simply but you can have rather complicated lighting arrangements. One simple one is a light placed to light from behind, abother light can be shone onto a reflector to wel reflect back onto the face. The reflector gives a less harsh light to the subject than if it was a direct one.

This is my rather basic understanding. I hope it helps some. Perhaps wait for more experienced people to get back to you.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Back lighting is light that is coming from behind the subject that you are taking a picture of.

Depending how you expose your picture, backlighting often means your subject will appear darker in the image than you might want it.

A reflector is anything light or reflective that can bounce some of the light back towards the subject to brighten it up a bit. It could be a piece of card, foil or even a wall behind you. Some people spend stupid amounts of money buying purpose made reflectors but there really is no need. Even a bit of old white sheet is all you need.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE