basha help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
hello, recently i picked up a basha from a surplus store for £20, :) im not sure if its the british army one, coz that one wos £32, its in the DPM pattern. However when i got round to setting up, it seems to sag on the ridge. Has anyone expereinced this problem before. Help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
alex

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
The method I was shown on the Greenhorn course I attended, was to use a thick paracord for the ridge line and to use a Prussik knot with regular paracord at either end to tension it up.

I just spent a week under it in Sweden, With some pretty hefty rain on the first couple of nights and it held up fine.

Sweden002.jpg

Mines the one in the middle. (Looks pretty taut to me) :D

Hope that helps,

Martin

Edit - photo expertly taken by Bambodoggy. photographer available for weddings, Barmitzvahs and forest dwellings. :p

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
ah that would be a good idea to use thicker cord,a t the moment im just using paracord, like 3mm or sumamt, practically string. By thee way, th make of the basha is tracpac.
cheers
alex
;)

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I was really surprised when I was shown this method. The Prussiks really take up a lot of tension, the middle ridge tapes are almost redundant. It also means that when you pack/unpack, the basha can slide up and down the ridge line making the whole process a lot easier and quicker.

Martin

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
The Fly's on the Hennessy Hammocks are tensioned this way too...very neat little idea :D

Hey Martin, I recognise the expert photography in that very well framed shot you've posted...wherever did you get it? lol :p

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ah, well if we're being technical then I actually use the French Prusik so that I can release the fly easily when it's under tension and still leave the hammock where it is :p but I think any of the Prusik family will work :)

When I worked as a climbing instructor we used the french prusik on our right leg strap to hold the live end of the abseil rope while rappeling as a safety addition, works very well and no need for a safety line. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
bambodoggy said:
Ah, well if we're being technical then I actually use the French Prusik so that I can release the fly easily when it's under tension and still leave the hammock where it is

Sounds good,

Is there an online image of a French prusik that I could look at?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
Hey Martin, I recognise the expert photography in that very well framed shot you've posted...wherever did you get it? lol :p
Errrm, :rolleyes:
It's a fair cop mate.lol :) I should have asked your permission first, but seeing as it was already in the public domain, I thought it'be ok :eek:
I'll go back and put a credit beneath it for you.

Martin

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
sandbender said:
Sounds good,

Is there an online image of a French prusik that I could look at?

Certainly is Matey, on your own link, it's the next one down from the Klemheist on the main Knots page :D

No worries about the photo Martin, I was only kidding with you....what's mine is yours mate :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE